Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ARE MUZZY 100 GOOD BROADHEADS

Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ARE MUZZY 100 GOOD BROADHEADS

Can't go wrong with Muzzy's. Just get the right size to match your setup.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Yes they are good,I will admit there are heads that are ALOT worse than Muzzys.Honestly I really can't stand to see the swarm of Muzzy users engulf newbies,and then they believe that there is no other."Just gotta use them 'cause everyone else says they are bad to the bone".I fell for that samemumbo jumbowhen I started,and that's why I like to help newbies,so I can give them the REAL facts on stuff I've used.Whether it is the popular opinion or not.To help them from not having the same problems I did.I only speak on things I have used..

I'm not a brand loyalist at all.I have tested broadheads on ANIMALS."ON GAME" performance is what I like to see.Half penetration without hitting bone?NO-NO.Pulling intestines out of the exit wound..clogging the exit hole?..NO-NO!Poor blood trails on well hit game?NO-NO.I don't pump whoever has the most celebrities or ads out...Just what works the best.And I always recommend more than one design/brand for people to check out.I like how 5 shot does his test,and shows you the facts,then lets you make the decision..unbiased.There are alot of great products out,but there is no best of anything.We owe it to the animal to make it quick,clean,and as painless as possible..agree?I'm just here to say there are other ones worth checking out.And it is fun to watch how hot some people get when you say muzzy's aren't the greatest.Like saying mathews,ford,browning..etc..isn't the best..whether it is or not..HEHEhe[8D]
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

Here ya go.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1199527
Ranch I must be missing something in your link, nearly everone had had success with the Muzzy.

People like Muzzy broadheads because they are good, not advertising. In fact I've never seen a Muzzy comercial. I see ads for all broadheads in hunting magazines. If they were bad people would stop using them. Obviously there are other broadheads out there, but the Muzzy's are proven and are a fine broadhead for a "newbie".

In fact If you took a poll you would see that they are the most used broadheads out there. This isn't because of advertising it's because of their field performance. If you are new and want a good broadhead to start out with you simply can't go wrong with a Muzzy. No one's saying it's the only one, just one that has proven itself time and time again.

I think you just like to stir the pot.

But thanks for trying to save the "newbies". (BTW most people don't have the cash to buy a pack of each brand and shoot several deer to compare, they just want some guidance from fellow hunters where to begin)
Old 12-21-2005, 04:59 AM

I agree with cybersniper.The thread I put in before never got addressed.
What type of head's does Ranch use.If he is having problems with pulling
intestines cloging a hole that tell's me it is shot placement!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

FWIW:

This is a picture of a Muzzy that I shot at a piece of cast iron (OK, I was bored that day). 145 Grain Muzzy, 2317 easton, 70 pound bow 31" draw:

This is a picture of another decent brand that I have used to kill many deer and would still consider using for deer shot out of the same bow and using the same arrow. This head was a 135 grain:

Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Unbelieveable!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: D.Parsons

What type of head's does Ranch use.If he is having problems with pulling
intestines cloging a hole that tell's me it is shot placement!
Not the point Mr.Parsons,the point is on 1/4 toward or angling shots when you exit a little far back,and it pulls intestines out that tells me they are not sharp.That was the point.
Broadheads that have cut all the way through...
Thunderhead 100,rocky mt.Ti 100,snyper,spitfire,all 4 are some of the sharpest out the box in the industry.

Heads thathave clogged the exit on a shot like that..
shockwave 100,steelhead 125,muzzy,game tracker,old style razorbacks,easton ti 100 expandable

These are one's that I have made that type of shot on.Allanimals were recovered,but some after considerable effort.Hey in the long run they made me a better tracker.

SO What if it was a bad shot?If you get the lungs,but it comes out the gut....IT is still lethal.Just as dead.The point is if you have a dull set of blades on that shot it will pull them instead of cut them.Clogging the hole,and making for a difficult tracking job.The exit is lower,and the chest cavity must then fill with blood before decent blood comes out.

There is only one perfect person in my eyes,and he doesn't live here on earth.So,anyone is capable of making this shot.So,if it happens you want a blade that will slice...not pull.

cybersniper...I like to help people,and like to get help also.That is what's cool about these forums.It does help alot of us save money by reading reviews,and debates.I don't have enough $ to throw away on these broadheads either.I have been shooting different one's almost every year since I started bow hunting 9 years ago.Most test animals have been hogs(AND THEY REALLY TEST SHARPNESS),but almost as many have been deer.When I wasguided into shooting certain brands,then shot an animal with them.If I was not satisfied with the on game performance...they got ditched.I will not shoot a substandard head knowingly.

Stir the pot..yes I am ribbin' a little,I don't intend in having an argument,but I do like to debate.My advice is sincere,but I can joke....see here's one.....Bobco,next time a trophy cast iron pot comes by my stand I'll make sure I have a muzzy in my quiver just for him.[8D]But really,shooting boards,tires,and cast iron may show durability,and construction,but doesn't show me how it will slice through an animal.

2 years ago I read piles of reviews on rocket steelheads.How they penetrated the deepest of any.Well I shot them,and they penetrate,but the blades are dull,and do not open in a timely manner`,and the spike I shot left no bloodtrail.I watched him lay down,flop side to side,for 5 minutes,if it had not been for that I would have never had found him.That's no way for an animal to have to go[].I don't sharpen my UN-used broadheads,and don't expect to.Especially when I pay more than 30 bucks for them.They should be sharp out the package.

Hey if no one wants to heed my advice that's fine.I try to help,but if honest advice is not wanted here...then maybe there is nothing I can do..I can give you the facts..it's up to you to accept them.

Oh yeah.Dull = will not shave hair from your arm.Maybe muzzys have sharp blades,but not the ones we've been getting in GA.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have found Muzzy's to be plenty sharp out of the pack. In this my first year bow hunting I have shot, killed, and recovered a doe and a hog. Both were double lung pass through shots. On the doe it went through one shoulder and destroyed the bone before passing through. I have only tried one other brand of head, a mechanical that I just didn't care for. Both the doe and hog were recovered within 50 yards. I wll continue shooting Muzzy 100gr. 3 blade heads. If it ain't broke I ain't gonna try to fix it.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:43 PM

I NEVER hunt without first sharpening all my broadheads to my satisfaction,, you should too

Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 AM

Ranch I have no experience with gut-pulling but couldn't the fletching be as much to blame as the broadhead itself? I know that when I'm just messing around in the backyard the fletching is always what decides where the arrow stops. It'll get we wedged in a corn stock the broadhead made it through or make into the the random target up to the fletching and stop. I don't know my broadheads very well but could you go back and see if there is any correlation to the bigger 3-blades being less likely to gut-pull? My reasoning here is that if you have 3 larger slits in the tissue it would be much easier for the fletching to find its way through than with say, smaller (than the fletching) diamater 4-blades or 2-blades (razorbacks?) that in essence make one large slit.

Quick Reply: ARE MUZZY 100 GOOD BROADHEADS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.