Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how do you tell if you have the correct draw weight?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Default how do you tell if you have the correct draw weight?

I have mine set on the highest poundage, 70. BUT I have always worked out in the gym ever since I was old enough. I am not going into all the weights I can lift but pulling back the bow WHILE STANDING is no problem and holding it pulled back is not a problem. The problem is I can't pull it back WITHOUT standing to do it. Is this normal? does everyone need to stand to shoot?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do you tell if you have the correct draw weight?

It's different muscles pulling and pushing in a different direction than lifting weights. You should be able to sit on the floor with your legs out, point the bow at an intended target and be able to draw the bow stright back. No pointing at the sky or anything. Straight back.

And don't feel ashamed if you have to turn it down. Archery is not a testosterone sport. It's one of accuracy. Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM

I tried to draw back this weekend on a doe while sitting down. I will tell you it was the hardest I have ever had to work to get my bow drawn back. Keep up it wil come to you. I try to shoot many arrows from a knelt down on one knee position and I dont know if that helped or not but looks like I will have to practice some more.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:02 PM

hmm, I guess its just lack of confidence with me. I sat on the living room floor with legs out and was able to pull it back realitively easy. I went out today and put up a deer stand in my back yard and was shooting out of it at targets (apples) never hit one but was hitting right besid ethem. I don't know why I am doing this all now, bow season is over and theres not a high chance that I will take a bow during rifle season. I might though.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:14 PM

I have shot most of my deer sitting. I sit in a tree stand, when a deer apears I dont have time to stand, plus its just extra movement. If I have no shot because of branches I will stand,or if the deer turns its back and not looking at me. I wiil stand and take a good stance.Its all diffrent situations you know
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

utm, don't soundso forelorn. Why are you doing all this now? What better time. Anytime you can spend preparing for the hunting season is sure not wasted. Consider it this way. HUnting season lasts what, maybe two months a year? That gives you ten other ones to practice and tune the equipment and your body and mind. This all can boost your confidence level too.

That's why I say there is no off-season. I consider off-season hunting season. It's when I don't get to shoot my bows as much--if at all.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to sit in a chair and lift my legs.If Ican pull the bow comfortably like this I feel it is pretty close.I will even come down a little just to make sure I can pull it when I have lots of close on and have been sitting in the cold for a couple of hours.

i
Old 12-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I make sure I can draw while sitting on the ground with my back to a tree. I took a doe that way this year. My bow can be cranked up to 70# but I can't draw it COMFORTABLY in hunting situations. Turn it down, be more stealthy and more lethal!