Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2006 Bowtech cams...enlighten me.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2006 Bowtech cams...enlighten me.

Ok, admittingly, I've got a bug right now. I am hopeful that I'll get a chance to shoot an 06 bow with the smooth mods this weekend. I love my 05, but I'm really looking for something a little smoother than the 05.

For anyone who has shot both the 05's or the speed mods, how does it compare to the new smooth mods on the 06's? Is it really that big of a difference?

Just looking at the draw curve chart on the smooth vs. speed mods it appears the the smooth mods don't hold its peak weight as long as the speed mods during the draw cycle. Is this correct?

Enlighten me fellas. Is the smooth mod worth buying the 06?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Default RE: 2006 Bowtech cams...enlighten me.

I have both speed and smooth cams for my bow. I have been shooting both style cams for a couple weeks now. When you start with the smooth cams you will notice a difference in the fast cams, but not like you may think. To me the speed cam just feels like my bow is turned up exactly 3 pounds more which equates to about 11 fps at my draw length. The speed cam also feels like the peak draw weight ismore consolidated vs. smoothly spread out evenly throughout the entire draw cycle like the smooth cam mod. When pulling back the smooth cam, I keepexpecting to feel the peak bow weight while drawing the bow back or some kind of increase. Well,you don't it just goes back like silk all the way until you reach the draw stop peg. Isit worth trading in your excellent 2005 bow? You have to decide for yourself after you try it out. The 2005 BowTechs are great bows.

The full draw weight that you are asking about isn't a problem because you can micro adjust the draw stop peg to give you whatever feel you like at full draw. The speed cams are still very smooth, they just take a little more effort.

Each shooter/hunter needs to ask himself if this little bit of extra effort with the speed cam is worth the extra 9-11 fps. I say yes.

After shooting both I see a great advantage for both of these mods for us as consumers. Here is the reason why:

If I wanted a bow, but couldn't decide between a 60# bow or a 70# bow these options in cams can make the decision very easy. Lets say you only really need or feel comfortable pulling a bow at 65 pounds or less. You know you don't need 70-72 pounds, but the standard industry 60 pound bow just isn't enough. I say buy the BowTech 60 pound bow, crank it all the way up and install the speed cams. It will give you a bow that is right in the middle. You can also take this BowTech 60# bow dial itway down and install the smooth cams to make it feel like a 50# bow.

On the other hand if you really want a 70 pound bow for future growth and more options, but aren't ready for the full potential of that bows draw weight, adjust it to where you want it (around 62 pounds) and install the smooth cams. It makes it feel like a 60# bow. Then when you need the extra power of a 70# bow, crank it all the way up with smooth cams. If you want more than a 70# bow, crank it all the way up and install the speed cams. When I say more than a 70# bow I'm talking KE...the 70# bow with speed cams still feels like a 70# bow. It really is a great option to have. I hope I'm explaining it right. In short, having the cam options really makes me feel like I have two bows.

Once again...no bow press required for changing out cam mods. 4 screws and a draw stop peg adjustment. Only takes about 3 minutes.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 AM

Good postage!! I just picked up my speed mods and found that on my 29 inch draw Tribute that I had to move the draw stop post just a little to install the speed mod on the top cam. I put it back in the same place and couldn't really tell much difference in the feel of the draw between the smooth and the fast. Like posted above maybe 3 pounds heavier feeling.
This is going to turn out to be one great system for avid shooters and hunters!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Post MilDot!

I guess the question I'm really trying to get answered is whether or not the smooth cams on the 06's are going to be any smoother or nicer pulling than my 05 set at 65lbs. Is it worth selling my 05 for? I really like my current bow, but I'm still not totally sold on the draw cycle.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Great Post MilDot!

I guess the question I'm really trying to get answered is whether or not the smooth cams on the 06's are going to be any smoother or nicer pulling than my 05 set at 65lbs. Is it worth selling my 05 for? I really like my current bow, but I'm still not totally sold on the draw cycle.
I didn't answer that question directly. I think after you shoot the smooth cams you will be able to make that decision. Sounds like you have money to burn to give up what you have. There will always be a new bow, you had your year last year, now let me have mine. HAHA!

On a serious note, I heard thatthe speed cams on the 2006 feel like the standard 2005 BowTechs. As it stands now, you and I are shooting the same feeling bow. Maybe mine feels smoother/easier because I have a longer ATA or longer DL, I'm not sure. I do know I'm not willing to lose 11 fps going to the smooth cams. Yes the smooth cams are smoother and feel great, but at a cost. You could always dial your bow down to 62 pounds, that should make the draw cycle feel better. Personally I don't think the draw cycle is the problem...I think all these posts about the new BowTechs got you all excitted and you trying real hard to find something wrong with what you already have. HAHA!I'm being funny by saying that, not trying to be mean. I'm sure I will be doing the same thing next year when the 2007 BowTechs come out. They may have a cut-out in the cams so you don't have to move your draw stop peg to make a cam change. So I will be saying to myself..."ya that's a great reason to buy the new 2007 BowTech". HA! YA right.

If I was you I would ask these 3 questions:

Do I have a buyer for my 2005 bow?

Should I spend more money for a slightlysmoother bow or spend that money on my wife for Christmas? Ouch that one hurts!!!

I'm I willing to lose 9-11 fps with installing the smooth cams?

I still think you have a great bow. My local dealer said he sold more 2005 Allegiance bows than he has ever sold of any other model BowTech.

Did I help or make it worse?

I have a question for you to....I'm trying to decide on draw weight adjustment. Hunting you only need to pull it back once, so I have a tendency to want to take my bow up to 72 pounds. However, for practice I get tired faster with a higher draw weight bow so I want to set my bow on the low side. I need to find that perfect adjustment so I don't have to keep adjusting my pins on sight.So how many arrows do you think I should be able to shoot during a standard practice session without getting tired or without having my form diminishing?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

mildot,

OK, I have a new username to watch for to read all his posts!! Great posting on this topic.

After six years of posting on this board and reading thousands upon thousands of threads, there's a few usernames I scan past without reading too thoroughly, and then there's that small fraternity of board members who I will click on their threads every time just to find out their thoughts; congratulations on being inducted into that group!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

MilDot,

I appreciate your well though out responses. I think you helped me out tremendously.

If I had money to burn my freind, I wouldn't be askin this question, I'd buy it, then decide which I want to keep. I was more curious than anything about these new bows. I am still waiting on a 35 or 36" 7 1/2 brace bow from them.

To answer your question. I can shoot a very long time with my Allegiance at 65lbs. Though I tend to start opening groups up toward the end.Thats when I know to stop. But I can usually shoot probably 50 -60 arrows per session without much problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM

MQ1,

I'm feeling the pressure. HAHA!Thanks for the kind words and same to you. I have read several of your posts and have benefited from them all.

Muzzyman88,

Glad I could help you out. The high cost of these bows makes us all research a little. Your asking good questions and I hope you got all the answers you needed to make a solid decision. Let us know what you go with...or I guess maybe someday we will just see a post with a picture of a new BowTech. Until then enjoy your great bow.

Thanks for the info on the number of arrows. I'm around 40-45 arrows per practice session...probably should dial my bow down a little. Out of the 40-45 arrows I shoot 5 shot groups as fast as I can, but still taking time to aim precisely. I'm finding at 65 pounds draw weight with spped camsI can shoot 4 arrows in a row with great form, it's that5th arrow that I find myself getting a littleshaky. I'll either dial my bow down until I get my back muscles in better shape or I will start shooting 4 shot groups. Thanks for thehelp.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 AM

The new camo options are reason enough to upgrade alone!!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Mildot, as you get those muscles conditioned, you should get to shooting with much better form for a longer period.

As for the new bows, I was looking for an 05 leftover to replace my 2003 bowtech stalker. I love the way it draws and shoots but was looking to pick up some speed. I looking for either an 04-05 patriot or an 05 allegiance. I haven'y had a chance to shoot any of the new bows yet and was wondering if the 06's are worth the extra $200 for the new features.

Quick Reply: 2006 Bowtech cams...enlighten me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.