Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who shoots w/out a string loop?

Old 10-12-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Who shoots w/out a string loop?

I think I'm going to shoot from off of the string. The type of release I like doesn't work as well with the loop (I have a tru fire bear paw that has sort of a hook instead of the "pinchers&quot. When the hook is open you can just push it on the string and it locks shut. It don't worka so gooda on the loopa.

How much more wear should I expect to put on my string? Will I need to replace it every year or maybe two?

Thanks,
Kirk
Old 10-12-2002, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who shoots w/out a string loop?

Just my opinion but you should replace your string every year anyways. Everything depends on the amount of shooting and others aspects. I shoot off the string but my release (Scott Little Goose) doesn't fit tight putting on. I notice some difference from it but it is more of a compression to the serving then actual serving seperation/damage. I would think since it is tight you may get more wear or even have the serving comne apart especially if there are any rough edges on your release. Try it and see though if you feel confident with it.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:38 AM

I shoot off the string using a winn archery free flight release. It has the crab claw like jaws. Well when I bought my new bow I got the pro shop to wrap some thread below were I nock my arrow. I figure I will have to wear through the tread then the serving before getting to the string by then I will definetely be in need of a new string. I have shot about 2000 arrows since doing this and the string still looks like new but I do wax it religiously.

If you are what you eat them I am fast cheap and easy.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:33 AM

I shoot off the string and have no problems with it. I have tried a string and an Ultra Nock. I didn't like the string loop at all. I liked the Ultra Nock and experienced none of the problems others relate to it. I gave it up because I have a short draw length to begin with. I wanted to maximize my power stroke and get less weight on the string. Yes the Ultra Nock is heavy.

I use a Fletch hunter 3-d. It has a large radius curve on the jaw that is much better on the serving. It also has a large trigger which I like.

Paul
Old 10-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

At $55.00 plus for a new string I have my dealer reserve my strings every other year. It only costs $5.00 and worth the effort. Everything one adds to the string further reduces the IBO Rating (the velocity your bow shoots).

Bowhunter
Old 10-12-2002, 12:51 PM

I do not use a string loop on my main hunting bow. I do use a set of eliminator buttons and 2 knocks. I use 1 of 2 releases (golden key answer or scott caliper) and have no problems. if you bow is short below a 35" ata I would really use a loop. my bow is 38" ata & I have foudn I shoot just fine without it. on my second bow which is 34" ata I do use a loop & found it is better. I do have a 30" draw so I really get a bad angle on the string if I use anything less than a 36" ata bow.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:46 PM

I didn't really notice the angle of the string at my release. My Stalker is 33.5" ata and I have a 29" draw. What can try before I put the loop back on? Does the angle cause much string wear or affect arrow flight?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:01 AM

I had one put on but the Winn Archery release doesn't use the jaws so I don't use it. Heard it will make your bow faster but thats bs.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-13-2002, 01:03 AM

Sorry, meant to add that the pro at the archery shop filed the jaws smooth to reduce string wear. A chain saw file works well for this.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-15-2002, 01:09 AM

Before I took off my loop I noticed my center serving was just slightly loose. Removing the loop revealed two spots of just bare string and no serving! My nock could move up and down very easily. Not good.

The guy at the shop where I bought it reserved it for free but I chickened out and had him throw on another loop and bought a different release that worked better with a loop because of my short ata.

Thanks for everyones input

Kirk

Quick Reply: Who shoots w/out a string loop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.