Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Split Arrow Myth

Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Split Arrow Myth

Did anyone watch Mythbusters last night on the Discovery channel?

They were trying to prove or dis-prove the myth of splitting one arrow with another. Although they were able to split one cedar shaft about 12 inches they were unable to do a complete split. The cplim it that the broad head will follow the grain of the wood.

Has anyone over done this? Have seen it done? Have video?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Split Arrow Myth

If they had been useing a bambo or reed shaft , following the grain would have split the shaft if hit dead center with a cut on contact 2 blade broadhead .
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 PM

I saw that one too, and thought that there were some options that they didn't pursue. They've also done segments on obstructed gun barrels, target "recoil", and shooting at underwater targets. Always entertaining, usually educational. Personally, I just watch for the cute redheaded gal.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a cold shower, Okie. She's cute, butis alsoa diehard vegetarian. [8D]

Somebody forgot to tell them that blanks for old time arrow shafts were either shoots or splits that followed the grain from tip to tip. Modern wood shafts are mostly made from sawn blanks that don't necessarily follow the wood's grain. That's one big reason they couldn't get an end to end split.

Not to mention they were shooting from too close. The arrows didn't have time to stabilize out of paradox before hitting the target shaft, so the tip was always hitting crooked.

Another reason was they didn't have Robin Hood or Howard Hill doing the shooting.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Take a cold shower, Okie. She's cute, butis alsoa diehard vegetarian. [8D]

Somebody forgot to tell them that blanks for old time arrow shafts were either shoots or splits that followed the grain from tip to tip. Modern wood shafts are mostly made from sawn blanks that don't necessarily follow the wood's grain. That's one big reason they couldn't get an end to end split.

Not to mention they were shooting from too close. The arrows didn't have time to stabilize out of paradox before hitting the target shaft, so the tip was always hitting crooked.

Another reason was they didn't have Robin Hood or Howard Hill doing the shooting.
Exactly what I was thinking. I saw the show a while back. I went to the basement and hand selected 28 shafts that have perfectly straight grain. One day I will give it a shot. The grain has to be straight in order to work.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM

I got to laugh. I was reading this post the other day thinking.. 'yish, I really don't want to blow 5+ bucks on an arrow by testing that out.

Well! Stupid here did just that.. and I though I would share =)

Pics below... Comments and HA HA's welcome... I mean, it was pretty kewl, but then I though 'ACK! those arrows are too expensive to do that!!' hehe

2 weeks into using a bow, lost one and split one =)

Next message has a zoom on the split

Old 12-11-2005, 10:45 PM

Split Zoomed