Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trykon XL vx. Switchback XT...My thoughts

Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trykon XL vx. Switchback XT...My thoughts

I was at a local shop last evening to shoot and check out the new Hoyt and Mathews bows they had in.

I shot both the Switchback Xt and Trykon XL. Side by side, my initial impression of these bows was that the Trykon had much less vibration. What I noticed was string buzz from the Trykon. Hoyt changed to a different string leech this year and i think they should have stuck with last years version. But again, it was only string buzz, nothing a different set of silencers couldn't take care of. The parallel limbs on this thing really made a difference this year. Very nice balance too, even without of stabilizer.

The switchback xt is definitely smooth. But, there wasn't any string buzz, but much more handle buzz than the Trykon. The bow seems to balance fairly well, but still has a lot of the balance charecteristics of the long riser, short limb bows like it and the Bowtechs.

Both of these bows were shot using a full length Beman 400 carbon arrow with a 100 gr point.

I would definitely lean toward the Hoyt after shooting them side by side.But I must say, my 05 Allegiance, right out of the box had less vibration and quieter than either them in my hands.

PAHardwoods also shot these same bows earlierlast week and I confirmed his opinions on them as well.

All in all, I'm not too overly impressed with the Matthews "flagship" bow this year. Its just a shorter version of the switchback, nothing new.

Hoyt's Trykon, though not a ground breaking design by any stretch of the imagination, is definitely a shooter. The parallel limbs, coupled with the TEC riser and better strings and cables is going to be a real winner.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trykon XL vx. Switchback XT...My thoughts

I've heard a lot of guys commenting on the rough draw cycle of the Trykon. Did you notice that by any chance?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add that. I don't think its "rough" but it definitely really drops into the valley. Not a real smooth transition from peak weight to let off. Its not terrible, but its more sever than the older cam.5's i've shot. However, the Cobra cam on the Matthews is kind of a wierd draw cycle too IMO. Its smooth, but you don't really notice the let off until you're at full draw.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

That just goes to show ya: I thought the Trykon was extremely buzzy -- even in the handle. It honestly felt like a tuning fork going off after the shot. I think the old gang will confirm I'm not saying this just to defend the Mathews; I honestly could care less. I don't own any Mathews stock, and am one of the few Mathews shooters who could care less about "defending" their bow of choice.

The XT -- to me, keep in mind -- offered an extremely stable platform, with a noticeably quieter shot and far less vibration. The XT felt more like the Tribute and the Allegiance I shot a couple days ago, only the draw cycle was different, and because of that doesn't shoot as hard as the Bowtechs. But, theXT I shot was noticeably faster than the Trykon.

As far as nothing new, I'd have to largely concur -- even though I've seen quite a few Switchback owners choosing the new XT in favor of their current bow. For people like me, who shoot a four- or five-year-old bow, it's a technilogical marvel!

As always, I'm a huge advocate of going and shooting a wide array of bows... or at least the ones you've got in mind that you're interested in -- just as you did. I'm proof that two people can shoot the same two bows and come away with different impressions and opinions of the same two bows.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

MQ1, I'm with you. I don't own stock or even shoot either brand, so I have nothing in it either. I just wanted to shoot em and see what I thought. I don't think either bow is going to be bad once you attach a stabilizer to it and some other dampening stuff. I just personally felt the Hoyt was the nicer shooting bow out of the two. Of course, I still have yet to shoot the new Bowtechs. Can't wait to finally get my hands on one of them.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also notced the string buzz.But I believe it is due to the short a-a coupled with a low stretch/creep string that has been prestretched.I have the sameproblem with my Xtec when I put on a452 string.An STS completely eliminated that issue.BUT the Xtec had no string vibration with the stock d-75 string.

The cam is definately a bit more aggresive than the switchback but it also shoots alot faster.From some of the chrony readings I am seeing, the Trykon is faster than advertised.This is an advantage to some and a disadvantage to others.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM

I tried the Trykon XL out, and I had no problem with a "buzzing". The retailer I go to has Matthews as well, and I compared the Switchback to the Trykon. For my personal preference, I am a Hoyt man. Matthews makes great bows, but Hoyt delivers what I need in both performance, technology, and integration of parts. Hats off to both Matthews and Hoyt for their technology. I still think to this day, that there is a insider trading secrets between Hoyt and Matthews. Lol, oh well, those are the two manufacturers that I would only buy from. In February, I am buying my Trykon XL with all the trimmings, and most likely it will retire my Hoyt MagnaTec and UltraTec.......... Safe shooting no matter what you use.