Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Safety Belt ....different choices???

Old 10-08-2002, 12:28 PM

Default Safety Belt ....different choices???

I have been looking to replace my old "wrap around the waist" safety belt. Anybody have any pro's/con's on some of the full body and/or chest safety harnesses? I am wanting a harness that will double as as a safety belt and a pole climbers rope, for climbing and descending. I have pretty much already determined I would rather have chest safety harness because they seem easier to use and more accomodating to my methods, unless someone here changes my mind, but haven't found any that has the dual function. I have been looking for a chest harness that has "D rings" to accomodate a pole climbers rope. My only concerns (two) about the full body harness is when do you put it on and those straps around your crotch have got to be binding. Depending on the weather I sometime "pack in" my cold weather coat and bibs and sometime I don't. Sometime I will get dressed at the base of the tree and sometime not until I am in the tree. Do you where these things under your heavy cloths? They almost have to be outside your bibs in order to use the pole climbers rope.

Any help is appreciated!
Toby
Old 10-08-2002, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Safety Belt ....different choices???

Toby,

I am thinking of purchasing a new fully body harness myself. I currently use a chest type harness that is and OK device. I'm now starting to feel that it would not give me support really needed in case of a fall. The chest type would be better than a waist style that may break your back if not positioned correctly during the fall. I want to remain conscious and upright so I can possibly recover myself to the stand or call for help. API now sells what looks to be a good fully body unit which includes D rings for lineman type climbing. You do not have to cinchup the legstraps fully while walking. I suggest that you do tighten things up a bit before going into the stand. From parachute training I can tell you that your harness needs to be fairly tight when the shock comes. If the harness is a good one you can just sit in it after the fall, the cheaper ones may cause you physical harm and to passout fairly quickly without being able to get assistance.

Aim Hard!
Old 10-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

take a look at the seat of the pants harness it has the D loops either side so you can use it as a climbing harness.

Old 10-08-2002, 04:27 PM

Toby,
I just bought Cabela's "Deluxe Harness and Climbing System" ($55) which I've used a few times already. It is comfortable, has D-loops on each side of the harness for climbing, and the safety webbing doubles as a climbing rope. The safety webbing has D-clips on each end, so you can use it to climb. Once in the stand, you unclip from your harness and secure it around the tree, then use one clip to clip back on to the short piece extending from the back of your harness. The worst part of it is trying to figure out how to put the contrapion on in the dark.

Old 10-08-2002, 06:09 PM

I agree with Ausie-guy. Seat O The Pants is a good safety harness/climbing belt. I like using the climbing rope to hold me against the tree as i hang stands. As FLHunter said, I leave the leg straps loose while walking in. When not being used as a climbing belt, this harness can be worn under the outer layer as long as the neck of your coat is kept loose where the strap comes out.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

And may I add that you really shouldn't use just a chest harness, but a full body harness. And the best you can afford. I have the SOP and consider it still the best going. I wear it inside my coat or ouside depending on what I plan on doing ( hanging a stand or using a climber). The reason to buy the best? What other life-insurance do you pay for that keeps you alive for you to collect the benefits from?

Old 10-09-2002, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I use my rock climbing harness. It was 30.00 and is very safe and allot more comfortable. It's made for much longer falls than you'll have from a tree stand. The company is Black Diamond.