Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How "clean" does it need to be

Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 PM

Default How "clean" does it need to be

I picked up a new Bitzenberg jig with a right helical clamp tonight. I started to strip off my old fletchings. I must say my pro shop did one hell of a job, these suckersare stuck on tight.

I have Gold Tip XT carbon arrows.I used a razor to strip off the plastic of the old vane but there is still some glue residue. I washed it with water and a scotch bright pad. I watched close to see if the pad scratched the carbon it does not appearto, but it sure is gonna take forever to get all the residue off.
I can barely feel the residue with my finger nail. Is this good enough? It looks to me that it isnt causing any problems with vane contact and if theold glue is stuck on that tight it shouldnt lower the adhesion of the new glue, right?It seems like in the past when the pro shop refletched I could still see were the old fletch was.

Any tips?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 AM

Default RE: How "clean" does it need to be

You're probably being too meticulous. I use a dull knife, held perpendicular to the shaft, and scrape hard until most of the glue is off. I spend no more than about 30 seconds per arrow. Thin layers of remaining glue will do no harm.