Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length on new bows

Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Draw length on new bows

[:'(]
Does anyone know why the archery company's are not making their newest models with a 32" draw length ? After looking at the 2006 line up's I realy don't see that many of the top bows in that draw length. Bowtec has even lowered the draw of the Constitution down from last year. Does anyone know why ?
Bmott
Old 11-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw length on new bows

What it boils down to is economics. Nobody needs a 32" draw until they reach a wingspan of about 70-80". This may or may not correlate to a person's height but is often close. This means that to justify a 32" draw a person would have to be in excess of 6'6" tall. In reality there just aren't that many people that big, so without the demand it doesn't make sense to cater to a very small amount of people. It costs a lot of money to make cams and modules and then not be able to sell very many.

There are a few companies that make longer draw bows. Martin has a couple up to 36".
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

What it boils down to is economics. Nobody needs a 32" draw until they reach a wingspan of about 70-80". This may or may not correlate to a person's height but is often close. This means that to justify a 32" draw a person would have to be in excess of 6'6" tall. In reality there just aren't that many people that big, so without the demand it doesn't make sense to cater to a very small amount of people. It costs a lot of money to make cams and modules and then not be able to sell very many.

There are a few companies that make longer draw bows. Martin has a couple up to 36".
How right you are...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:19 PM

Actually, I have to disagree about the availability of 32" draw bows. There are quite a few companies that address this issue directly. Such as: http://www.hoyt.com/products/proTec.tpl

Then there are those companies that misrepresent their draw lengths. I'm talking about those companies that have DLs up to 2 1/2" longer than what is posted/advertised.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 PM

I know every body is idividual but I'm only 6'2.5". My feather-max is at its end at 31" I could sure use another inch in the draw if it was there. I'm guessing there's alot guys less than 6'6" who could use it also. I agree though, the companies aren't stupid and aren't going to make a bow or design features that aren't sellable. It does just boil down to economics.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:18 PM

Actually, height doesn't always correlateto DL. I have one customer who is 6"1" and is a 34" draw. Yes 34" and it's real. I have another customer who is 6'3" and has less than 29" draw. I used to have a customer who was 6'6" and had a 28" draw.

Most people overrate their DL by 1" to 2". When trying to correct form problems, I'm always telling them that they've been "shooting too long a draw length for too long".
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 AM

I used to have a customer who was 6'6" and had a 28" draw.
That guy must have looked a bit like a T-Rex!

Bmott, you can always add a string loop to the bow, and shoot a release with a long extention on it. Combine this with the fact, as Len mentioned, that most manufactures cheat on the long end, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting to 32".
Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len, I know that height doesn't always correlate to wingspan, but it is often close. There are always exceptions to every rule. Guess that's why rules are meant to be broken, or at least bent. It's also why it's important to always measure the prospective buyer, and of course, there are small adjustments to that, too.
I also agree that it's hard to get people who have been shooting too long for too long to shorten up, many by as much as 2"-3". When you get them into a bow that fits closer they always feel cramped up. They just don't realize how much more accurate they could shoot with an OPTIMUM drawlength. I really don't like the term "correct draw".

In my post above I meant to write 79"-80". Hit a wrong key there.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:21 PM

More and more people seem to be coming into my shop looking to get into a more comfortable DL. After years of preaching proper 'hunting' DL, I think many who have been 'improved' and see greater successes are spreading the word.

'Correct' DL can be a misnomer. 'Proper' DL is something I like to promote. This could be defined as a DL that give the archer the most accuracy, consistency, and confidence in adverse hunting situations. Since +98% of my customers are hunters, I have the obligation to prepare them for a multitude of abnormal circumstances. Giving them indepth explanations of why one form style will work better than another is an ongoing scenario.

The DL problems that manufactures have created didn't just start. It's been a problem for a long time. Many are fixing or making attempts to fix the problem. Many still 'don't get it'.[:@]

I caught the 'typo', Barry. Even spell check wouldn't have caught that one.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The are long draw bows out there but, GOOD GRIEF! the price tags on most of those S.O.B.'s!! I couldn't have gotten my ProTec if I hadn't been a program shooter. I'd say forget compounds. You can get a custom recurve or longbow made for less money. A LOT less, inmany cases.