Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another tech ? for Pinwheel and others.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another tech ? for Pinwheel and others.

Another ? about something that affects accuracy or forgiveness. The Merlin site and Pinwheel both mentioned that the amount of string that came off the cam(s) had a negative effect on forgiveness. Does that mean that bows that try for efficiency using large string tracks, small cable tracks and much stiffer limbs are more prone to compound shooter errors than a bow with limbs that are less stiff, but bend through more of an arc?
Also, many bows, (starting with the XI Velocity I believe) make a point of vertical limb travel, and its reduction of recoil. Are these bows any more prone to be less forgiving than bows whose limbs move more in a lateral plane? One of the easiest bows to shoot accurately for me was the Machined Supreme. That riser style is certainly not in vogue today, is it?

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!
Old 01-10-2002, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another tech ? for Pinwheel and others.

Joe-

Maybe I was misunderstood. The amount of string played out from rest to full draw is what is critical. The cam is only concerned as a pivot point connection between string at full draw and the bow, and it is at this pivot point where we see the torque applied that hampers forgiveness. Cam design comes into play only as a medium or tool that helps to play out amount of string, and dictates the amount of let-off and draw force. Let-off is one other thing that allows more slop into the system and also makes the string easier to draw out of line, therefore I suppose cam design is another culprit that is added to the mix, as well.

Vertical limb travel reduces shock, but I don't believe it has any bearing on accuracy other than helping by eliminatiing said shock. Torsional stiffness and the speed of which a limb can recover are the two basic accuracy-related topics, a limb that has a stiffer torsional resistance, and also one than dissapates oscillations the quickest will ultimately be more "stable" and accurate overall. Hope this helps, Good shooting, P12

Edited by - Pinwheel 12 on 01/10/2002 13:25:28