Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changin Broad Heads What do you think?

Old 10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Changin Broad Heads What do you think?

Fine. Uh-huh. Sure. Okay. Whatever.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

wis bow,

I think you really need to tone it down a little. You came on here asking for advice from people who have more or different experience than you. Please do not chide them for offering their thoughts, many based on many years or decades of experience. If you don't agree with it then just thank the man and ignore it.

Now my thoughts. shooting a 30" draw and 67# and can't get pass throughs. It's not the broadhead. It's not the arrow. It's not the rest or any other part of your equipment. It's got to be in the tuning, shot placement (hitting shoulder bones, or something else. I know a lot of people (myself included) that get complete pass throughs with a lot less KE than your rig is producing. Personally I do with 53-56# bows shooting 300-330gr arrows. I'm just pointing out that deer are not big critters and it doesn't take a ton of bow weight or arrow weight to penetrate them.

You got some other problem, and I would almost have to think it's poor arrow flight. Have you TUNED the bow with broadheads, or just field points?

And for the record, everything said about the WB, Ultranock and others is true. They do rob you of speed. But speed is not a citeria here, nor should it be in this case. Another 20fps is not going to cure your problem.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Arthur gave you some good advice. If the doe jumped the string that much, something is making too much noise.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

wis bow,

I think you really need to tone it down a little. You came on here asking for advice from people who have more or different experience than you. Please do not chide them for offering their thoughts, many based on many years or decades of experience. If you don't agree with it then just thank the man and ignore it.

Now my thoughts. shooting a 30" draw and 67# and can't get pass throughs. It's not the broadhead. It's not the arrow. It's not the rest or any other part of your equipment. It's got to be in the tuning, shot placement (hitting shoulder bones, or something else. I know a lot of people (myself included) that get complete pass throughs with a lot less KE than your rig is producing. Personally I do with 53-56# bows shooting 300-330gr arrows. I'm just pointing out that deer are not big critters and it doesn't take a ton of bow weight or arrow weight to penetrate them.

You got some other problem, and I would almost have to think it's poor arrow flight. Have you TUNED the bow with broadheads, or just field points?

And for the record, everything said about the WB, Ultranock and others is true. They do rob you of speed. But speed is not a citeria here, nor should it be in this case. Another 20fps is not going to cure your problem.
He just erks me at times as wellerking many others. I know hes just trying to help but he always blames everything on the WB right away, read the WB Forum Post. Youll see whatI mean. There are no tares in the paper other than the broadheads making contact. I have papertuned my bare shafts to see if they are indeed flying properly. They are. Its got me and many others baffled. But thanks for the suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Yes everything was tuned with my broad heads, including paper tuned with my broadheads. We cant figure it out. Im really interested in seeing how the Muzzys perform compared to the Thunderheads.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

no pass throughs at 67#? I'm shooting 60# and don't have a problem. I was thinking of trying the muzzy's next year for giggles though.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr
He just erks me at times as wellerking many others. I know hes just trying to help but he always blames everything on the WB right away, read the WB Forum Post. Youll see whatI mean. There are no tares in the paper other than the broadheads making contact. I have papertuned my bare shafts to see if they are indeed flying properly. They are. Its got me and many others baffled. But thanks for the suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Yes everything was tuned with my broad heads, including paper tuned with my broadheads. We cant figure it out. Im really interested in seeing how the Muzzys perform compared to the Thunderheads.
I laugh at people who paper tune.
Sure you cant get it to fly right at 5 feet ,but what about 10 , 20 or 30 feet. or people who paper tune ony to throw it all away when you tune to get fixed blades to fly like field points.
Sigh.........
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey WIS, obviously you're not the bow WIS you think you are.

I'll put you and Arthur P at the range together you can shoot your flame throwing PSE nova, WB and all that other "bullsh**" as you call it. And Arthur will shoot his hand crafted stickbow with hand crafted arrows and stone arrow heads.

I'll bet my paycheck that you run out of arrows(or shootable nocks)before he does.

Go tune your bow and save us allfrom reading posts and getting stupider.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You Crack me up man. Here ya go again with WB bullsh**!! Enough already. When I had my bow setup a couple years ago with the WB and Ultra noc I shot the bow before the setup and after. I lost a total of 4fps. So no its not the WB and its not the Ultranoc. Its not the ruber peep tubing either. Get over yourself dude. My bow is silent on the shot theres no slap at all. Ill gladly take you on with my bow anyday!
You crack me up man. You come on a websight asking for information, and when its given to you in a truthful manor your get defensive. Everything Arthur said is valid. That ultralok by itself is costing you approx 10 fps.

The part Ibolded of your last post is what is intriqueing me. Have you tuned your bow in the last 60 days? PSE's strings are notorious for stretching and throwing your bow out of tune.

I think this is the last time I'm going to post this. Here is how I tune. Its easy, it takes 10 minutes, and if you own an allen wrench, target, broadhead tipped arrow, and field point arrow, you can do it.

My dad shoots 50 pounds after a shoulder/back injury and has never NOT gotton a pass through shooting at deer. He keeps his shots within 30 yards, uses razor sharp broadheads, and knows where to aim on an animal.

You can choose to yell, bitch, moan, complain at my post. Do what ya gotta do to make you think your equipment is better than mine, but I'm going to agree with Arthur on the WB. I gave one an honest chance for two years, and I just feel that it is not the best choice for a rest. Is it adequate? You bet. Is it the best containment system? You bet. Is it the most accurate? Not a chance.

Bow tuning the easy way:
1) shoot a field point tipped arrow into the bulls eyes
2) shoot a broadhead tipped into aiming at the same spot.
3) move the rest away from the broadheads impact. ie - if the arrow is high right, move the rest dow, left. You can also move the nock point, but make it follow the arrow. ie - high arrow = raise nock point
4) repeat step 1 and 2
5) after #4, if the broadheads and field points dont group together, repeat step 3
6) after you get the field points and broadheads grouping together, adjust your sight to bring them both back into the bull.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 AM

You know it's not ironic that all the people here that have problems use a WB arrow rest.
That is simply senseless bashing of a good product. There are literally thousands of posts on this forum, describing problems where the archer is not using a WB. This kind of blatent trashing of a product is not needed here.

wis bow htr, you've been given some good advise. The areas that I would pay attention to, are blade sharpness, bow tune and shot placement - in that order.

At your draw length and draw weight, energy is not the problem. I've seen pass throughs on elk, with much less energy being produced. Paper tuning is a start, but will not tell you if your bow is in tune. Most broadheads are barely sharp enough out of the package. If you've shot them, (even in practice), they need re-sharpening. You need to be able to shave hair with them.

As for Arthur, that guy knows a ton about archery. He just happens to not like the WB rest. However, he didn't say anything in his post that wasn't true.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know it's not ironic that all the people here that have problems use a WB arrow rest.
I'm actually going to defend the WB here. I would be willing to bet that more beginner/novices are recommended the WB by either shops, friends, hunting pals,a friend's friend of another friend who dated a girl whose dad used one, etc. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice when you have a problem, but please, if your not going to take the advice, at least keep an open mind about it since the majority of us who respond to these same questions 14 times a month have been through this first hand.. After all, we were all in the beginners shoes at one time.

Alright, I'm done my post count increasing rant [8D]

Quick Reply: Changin Broad Heads What do you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.