Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

to loop or knot to loop

Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 PM

Default to loop or knot to loop

I need all the opinions I can get here. An old time friend and hunting buddy suggested I put a loop on my string to save my serving and what not it only made sense so I did. worked great and my string is like new still! Heres the thing another guy I know owns an archery shop and tells me its dangerous it can break and what notand then tries to sell me abetter release that wont eat my serving.

I watch alot of hunting shows on t.v. one of them had a guy that owns a major bow manufacturer hunting, guess what he had ? a loop on his string. Now it seems to me this guy should know.

So once again all opinions welcome!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Default RE: to loop or knot to loop

Loops will not only save on your string, but many claim they are more accurate. I have shot with a loop for 7 years and never had one fail. I shoot year round in leagues, hunting, 3D, and practice. The shop owner was wrong. Tie it correctly and don't worry about a thing.
JMAC
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just started shooting a loop a couple months ago and so far it's been great. I've had no problems and it did seem that I picked up a little more accuracy. I've been concerned with the loop breaking or coming apart but no worries so far. I have over 1000 shots and the loop still looks new. I do check it ever few days and each time prior to going out in the field. Just to make sure.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I started using a loop 12 years ago and not once has one broken or come untied on me.

Having said that if you tie it incorrectly it can and will come untied and you may end up punching yourself in the mouth or nose. Like anything else it must be installed proplerly and you must change it if it begins to show signs of wear.

The many benefits of a loop far outweigh the one or two negatives that some people can come up with.

They are lighter than brass nocks so you gain a tad bit of speed.

You are pulling directly behind the arrow and not below so all of the bows energy is transfered directly to the arrow in a straight line rather than having the lower part of the string instantly become slack at the release and snatching the nock end of the arrow vioently downward at the release.

They eleminate nock pinch and arrow fall off.

You can change the length of them to fine tune your anchor point to your prefered spot.

They act somewhat like a string leech and vibrate out of synch with the sting to slow the strings vibration. Certainly not as effective as a leech but they do help some.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

diffently improved accuratcey<sp?>.and it seems some speed.though i dought it had no improvement on speed i'll never hunt with out one again.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

[:@]Nothing makes me madder than a pro shop that tells you what you have to do without proving it first.

I shot with a nocking point and eleminator button for years. The only problem I had was that I wore my string out after 10 years of shooting with it. I changed to a loop only because I did not believe in them, I always tried talking people out of them. I had to try it and prove I was right. Why, because I was afraid of change. If this guy wants you to believe that the string will break, well then he is right. Eventually you will wear the loop out, you will wear the string out, you will wear the release out. Sooner or later something will break and generally it is while you are hunting. But what his problem is, he is afraid of change.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shop owner tried to impose what he likes instead of what works best for the majority--makes you wonder some times[:@]
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's personal preference. If you have a good release and a good serving material your string will take a long time to wear out.
If you use a loop, tied correctly with QUALITY loop material, it will last you. I've just went over to a loop this season, and I like it. If someone made me go back to off the string, I wouldn't hesitate there either. the loop is nice for all the reasons mentioned, but if a person is much more comfortable shooting off the string, no one should knock them.