Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on shooting from a tree?

Old 10-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on shooting from a tree?

This will be my first real year of bowhunting. I hunted a very little bit at the end of the season last year because i had just started. When practicing from a stand i figured that any shots under 10 yds i had to aim 4 to 5 inchs low to hit in the middle and about 2 to 3 inchs low at 10 to 20 yds to hit in the middle. Does this sound right. I am confident with my accuracy i just want to make an easy tracking job and less running for the deer. I also would like some hints on how to tell how big does are. thanks for your help -sam
Old 10-05-2002, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Question on shooting from a tree?

We don't know your bow speed and arrow trajectory to 20 yds. I'd say get up in a tree about the same height as you will hunting. Have a friend move the target butt at 10, 15, and 20 yds and shoot groups at each of these distances. Remember to bend at the waist to keep your upper body form at the same position as shooting on level ground. Don't figure what your bow will do, know. Go out and practice and enjoy!
Old 10-05-2002, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Question on shooting from a tree?

To answer your question on identifying adult does, look at the length of the snout. An adult doe will have a much longer slender snout than a young deer. Many times you will see a doe with a yearling so next time pay special attention to the lenght of the snout.

BUT!.....there's always a BUT!

Big bucks also appear to have shorter snouts because of there larger size and heaftyness, so don't just brush off all deer that appear to have short snouts! You just might be missing the opportunity of a lifetime!

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>