Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

You get what you pay for..How's that relate here?

Old 09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default You get what you pay for..How's that relate here?

I guess with age comesthe wisdom, that you do indeed, get what you pay for. Gone are the days when I buy cheap boots, gloves, camo clothing, and equipment.
I bought a new bow this year and all the goodies, didn't re-use anything from my old set-up.

So my question is this.. Since expandables became legal, I've used Shockwave Expandable broadheads. Yes, they are on the bottom of the Cost scale. I've had good luck with them (1 shot at a buck 1 kill), and they shoot like field tips in my set-up. I'm not opposed to spending more money on a better mechanical. So why are some "better"? I need to buy some new ones for hunting as I have been target shooting with my old ones.I am prepared to buy more shockwaves..unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:44 PM

Default RE: You get what you pay for..How's that relate here?

With broadheads I think a lot of the cost difference is due to the type of material it's made out of, precision of the machining and such that makes it overall more expensive to produce. I don't know if more expensive broadheads perform any better, but if you have found a sharp, reliable head in your shockwave, then there is probably no reason to change.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way to convince someone of a product they are using isn't worth the money. The mechanicals are OK for broadside shots on medium and bigger game. Any angle what so ever to the target and the mechanicals are about as good as field tips. So much energy is expended on impact that many times the mechanical will glance off the target or only partially open. I will not waist me time or money on a product that MIGHT work when needed most. Like when the big 10 point you have invested so much time scouting and though in stand placement stands 20 yards away and you make a perfect shot only to have that perfect shot go bad because of the junk on the tip of your arrow. Purchase a good fixed broadhead and use the expandable tips on ground hogs.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

A buddy of mine who used Shockwaves last year bought a new set to use elk hunting this season. 2 out of the first 3 opened up just fine, but the 3rd did not open upon impact on his broadhead target. This was enough to convince him to return to his ole reliable Thunderheads before the hunt. It was probably due to a burr, tiny shavings or some residue from the mfg. process, and perhaps if he had checked them first their would have been no problem.

As far as the highest priced broadheads being better, I won't make that as a true blanket statement. Compared to many of the newer broadheads Muzzys don't seem to be as expensive anymore and they work great for me. By the way, if you decide to try a new model fixed broadhead I would highly suggest the Rocky Mtn. Turbos. I've never in my life had a broadhead out of the package fly as well and have as sharp of blades as these.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:16 PM

you can spend more money but you won't be getting anything that you don't already have with the shockwave. I've used it and it is as good as they get all that at a fair price.

others that work as well:

Steel head by Rocket, if your using 100 grain I don't like the way these screw into my inserts, they kind of shorted the thread part to cut the weight down to 100 grains so they don't screw in like the shockwave.
the 125 grain version does screw in right. you can expect the same results with the rockets as you got with the shockwave.

Rockey MT Sniper 100 grain it is a two blade that is 1 3/8 cut. rear-ward opening mechanical. these work extremely well also, same results as a shockwave.

the wasp line has some too, you will notice that they look a lot like a shockwave..

So go ahead and spend your money.you have already experienced what a well built mechanical will do. the others do the same, provided your shot selection and placement is correct..

So why are some "better"?
they are not they are just advertised that way..