Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How does your center shot look???

Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 PM

Default How does your center shot look???

Ok guys, heres the deal... I've been getting my bow tuned up for season opener and started out with paper tuning. Got my setup shooting bullet holes at 5-6' and then went to the "Walkback" method to fine tune the center shot. Made a couple of minor adjustments, and commenced the broadhead tuning. Broadheads shoot about 1" lower than field tips at all ranges. Now heres the thing, tonight after all the tuning, I was looking over the bow and realized how messed up it looks. The arrow rest is set left of center so that with an arrow nocked the tip is about 1" left of the nock. The nock point is about 1/4"-3/8" below horizontal. It just looks weird!!! So I got to thinking that it must be form or grip, or both. Went out tonight and purposely tried to torque the bow one way or the other. I experimented with my grip... high wrist, low wrist, more palm, less palm... you get the idea.Nothing really seemed to make that much difference, slight differences sure, but nothing to correct the drastically left centershot. Any ideas?? How bout you guys, how does your center shot look??
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How does your center shot look???

Don't take this the wrong way but you are shooting a Mathews.

Mathews grips are not exactly a torque free design for 95% of the bow shooting public. The new grips on the switchback and outback are better than past grips but they are still a generally torquy grip.

A torque free grip will be essentially straight and narrow. It won't have any of those palm swells, thumb grooves and such that the Mathews grip has machined into it. This will allow your hand to make contact with the entire grip as close to the grips center line as possible. A Mathews grip, and many others, apply pressure in all areas of the grip except the very center.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Default RE: How does your center shot look???

bigbulls, I couldn't agree more!!! I hate that pistol grip. In fact, I'm seriously considering getting a standard or competition model from Mathews. I have never shot a bow that I couldn't intentionally torque one way or the other and know when I did it. The weird thing is this bow seems to have a mind of its own, and no amount of grip change seems to matter...