Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I stink!!!!!

Old 09-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I stink!!!!!

I am really getting frustrated. I have been shooting for nearly 2 months. I can go out and shoot good one day and terrible the next. Here's how bad it got - 2 days ago shoot 3 nice arrows then shoot six more; I end up missing target and busting an arrow; I get mad and shoot again to make sure it's me and not the bow and shoot a good arrow - the next day, same thing couple good arrows and then a miss and nother broke arrow!!!! I know it is my form, release, etc. I can actually feel myself not staying on the target, flinching, slapping, and I even think my eyes were shutting - just not concetrating. Is this classic target panic? I never had it before. I think I am going to stop shooting for a week or more and when I do shoot I am only going to shoot 2-3 arrows. Right thing to do? Frustrated!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:19 AM

Default RE: I stink!!!!!

you are frustrated .your beating your self .try being casual .RELAX
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 AM

how many pounds are you shooting. if you're having a hard time being still and all that is going on i'd say maybe too many pounds and too long a draw. get some lessons.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you feel it is your form, get real close to the target (so you can't miss) and shoot a dozen arrows with your eyes close, take time in between shots. Don't worry where the arrows go, just concentrate on form.

Then take a few further back (also take time between arrows to reflect), maybe 10-15 yards and aim.

Do this in every session for a while.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt about it. You are beating yourself. I would also say that you can't concentrateon good form because your bow doesn't fit you properly. If you're like about 80% of shooters your drawlength is too long and the bows peak weight is too high. This leads to struggling with the bow so you can't concentrate on form. Back down the weight some. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the replies.

my poundage isn't too high (i don't think) - ~62# (i'm a pretty big guy) and don't have a physical problem with holding the bow - mental is another question
when I got the bow (last year), the draw was too big and other things were off - got that corrected and shot well - I still shoot well, just get the (what used to be) occassional brain farts. I think I will have the bow checked to see that everything is in order and take a break from shooting. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Everyone may not agree with my tactics but the way I taught myself to stop flinching went as follows.

I had a buddy help me to kinda supervise.

I went out and shot 3 arrows, flinching the whole time.
Next I drank a beer.
shot 3 more arrows, still flinching
Drank another beer....

Well you see the pattern. And eventually I was relaxed enough a freight train could have come at me and I wouldn't have flinched. Then I continued to shoot as I sobered up. Haven't flinched since. I am not recommending this method for everyone. It is meerly what helped me. I will help you stay relaxed. Also note I didn't drink to the point it was unsafe to shoot. just enough to relax. And that was why I had a good friend there. To ensure I didn't get to that point. He basically cut me off when I quit flinching and it helped me.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:42 PM

This is only a guess but I am thinking you are having problems with your pin floating all over the target. So far this is normal. The normal but disasterous response is to hit the release or let go when the pin is going by center. The arrow goes well off course and you kick yourself. Am I close?
Typically, an archer who is using a release, has become comfortable with punching the trigger at the exact moment that their pin crosses the target. And, usually up until that point, they are doing pretty well at hitting what they are aiming at.
But then... they notice a slight flinch. Still... the majority of their arrows are on target... but every now and then... they have a few "fliers" due to this little annoying "flinch". If not corrected... it continues to get worse, until their confidence is shot, and they are not sure if they can hit the target with their next arrow.
First off... Shoot some "Blind Bail." Get within 5 feet from your target, and shoot with your eyes closed. Use proper form, and slowly squeeze your release. Your release should be UNEXPECTED. Do this and allow your body to feel what a "Proper Release" feels like. In this manner, you are developing "Muscle Memory". Do this with about 10 arrows before you start shooting... and then about 10 arrows after you finish shooting. (Again... this is done with your eyes closed.)
As Bob mentioned, allow your pin to "float" and don't get too concerned with the "Perfect Sight Picture". Over time, you will become more steady... but for now... let the pin float. At this time... don't be to concerned about where your arrow goes, but instead, be concerned that you are triggering your release in such a manner that the release is "unexpected" or a "surprise."
When you aim, you should pick a spot, and absolutely "glue" your eyes to THAT spot. DO NOT take your eyes off of that spot! Allow your pin to float... and do not take your eyes off of that spot!!! Slowly initiate your release in such a manner that the release goes off by surprise. When you release... DO NOT look for your arrow! Continue to stare at the same spot.

If your pin was not on the exact spot you wanted... Don't sweat it! What you want to do, is to be able to tell exactly where you pin was located at the exact moment of release. This is done by gluing your eyes on the target.
If you can say... "My pin was low left"... and that is exactly where your arrow went... you are in good shape! Again, you will become more steady as time goes by. But... if your arrow goes someplace else than where your pin was during release... it will be a problem in your form.
The key to this whole thing boils down to (3) three things...
1) Proper form.
2) Allow your pin to float.
3) Your release should be a surprise.

If you can nail these three things down... you will find that you no longer flinch!
Good luck & please keep us posted as to your progress!
Allen

Old 09-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm having alot of the same concerns. I can shoot very tight groups
time out and the next terrible. I have cancelled my plans to take the bow into the woods this year, because I don't like the bad shooting days. My buddy says I'm shooting well enough to go out up to 30 yards, but I don't want to be just " good enough" I want to be able to be confident in every shot released.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Allen,

That is EXACTLY IT. You hit the nail on the head. I will definitely try what you (and Bob) have suggested. Hope it brings me back. Thanks

Quick Reply: I stink!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.