Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FRUSTRATION dumb qst.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Default FRUSTRATION dumb qst.

My peep sight will not stay lined up. Every time I shoot i have to move it around at full draw. What can i do?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FRUSTRATION dumb qst.

Do you use a string loop?? And are you using peep tubing?? Both will help you with alignment but if you prefer not to use them it sounds like you need a new string due to stretching or a good peep tuning job done. Take it to your proshop and let them know the problem, they will hopefully be able to help you.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Site Bouncer

Well, what's happening is your string is twisting as you draw and thus moving the peep. The only thing you can do is try to adjust it so it rotates into position, but you will need access to a bow press to make it eaiser to do this.Make sure you have a quality string that is pre stretched and therefore less prone to stretching again.You will have to fiddle with it to get it to turn into position as you draw.Or you can put on a Surz-A-Peep that splits the string in three sections so while you may have some portion of the string in your sight it usually is not enough to not be able to see your pins. Or you can do what I did and go back to the tube style peep and it will always pull it'self into alignment. The only thing you need to worry about is the tube breaking but if you change it often it won't be an issue. you will loose some speed but when I switched back I didn't even need to change my pins at any range. I also did not notice the bow being any louder.

I got tired of trying to get my peep to rotate into perfect position and STAY there shot after shot after shot. I do not have a bow pressand it was a pain in the neck to do it without. So I put on a Surz-A-Peep and it worked ok but I again got tired ofhaving to look thru the string to see my pins. I can afford to lose a few fps (ascan most) to ensure I will have a perfect sight picture time after time after time. Like I said just change the tube often (I change it twice a season) and your good to go.

Oh, make sure the tube is just long enough to pull the peep into alignment. It dosen't take much stretch todo this. This way if it does break it will notsnap back with much force at all. You don't want it so tight that if it breaks you have a rubber missle comming back at you. If it is put on correctly, 1. it will last much longer and 2. it will not cause any injury to you if it does break.Alot of the stories you hear about injuries (or fear of injury)are due to too tight of peep tubing.Also the silicone tubing is much lighter and will not snap back as hard as the older rubber style tubing. I tested the silicone tubing by pulling the bow to full draw and had someone pull the tubing to the cable (where it attaches) and let it go, it didn't even make it to my face, it stopped at the peep. The light tubing also is more forgiving as far as speed loss and noise as well.

There are your options.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Site Bouncer

A string loop will not stop a peep from turning. I have a string loop and the peep still rotates into position (orNOT into postion[:@]) I can see it turning just before the tube pulls it into alignment.

Edit: I take that back, a string loop will help but it won't bein the correct position at rest. The loop will need to be in a position that when you pull it, it twists the string to align the peep. The problem with that is the loop is not where it should be and you may have trouble getting your release on it when adeer presentsitself.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely your string doesn't have enough twists in it. A string should have about 1 twist for each 2" of it's length. That being said, it's not a guarantee that your peep will stay lined up forever. It's totally dependent on how good your string is, whether it is prone to creep (most factory strings are like this). Even twisted up properly you will probably get some rotation. Now it's a matter of moving strands from one side of the peep to the other to get it rotating to the proper position.

If you break down and get some good aftermarket strings like Winner's Choice you'll get little or no peep rotation, ever. That's what makes them so good. Once shot in and set up they don't change.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:26 AM

I agree try winners choice . Maybe a peep witha rubber tube for alignment may be cheeper and easier to install no bow press needed.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's probably too late this season for you to get use to but i would get rid of the peep sight completely and get a NO-PEEP,they should come standard with every bow imho.