Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Change?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Arrow Change?

I am currently shooting a Browning Ambush set at 63 # with a 29 inch draw length and 29 inch arrows. Also I am shooting Beman ICS Venture 400 arrows. The problem I'm having is with 100 grain 4 blade Muzzy BH's.
I cant get them to group well at all. I'm thinking maybe these arrows may be underspined and am thinking of switching to GT XT 340's. Does this seem like a better arrow for my set up? I'm pretty new at all the arrow stuff so I'm unsure if I'm fixing the problem or making a new one. Any advice would be great! Thx in advance
Old 09-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Arrow Change?

The 400's are right on. You will be overspined with a 340. Sounds like a tuning problem. Ensure the bow is tuned properly, and the broadheads have NO wobble at all when you spin test them.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Hmmmm, the Easton and Beman arrow guides both say I should be shooting a 340. I belive my bow is tuned ..my FP are dead on and its shoots bullet holes in paper from 4 feet to 15 yards. now I'm really confused[&:]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Another muzzy moment.You won't believe...even though there are literally hundreds of people on these sites who swear by them,I hear just as many complaints.90% have the same problem as you.The muzzy just won't group like their field tips..I would try a different broadhead.Mech heads would be a quick fix,and are the easy out.I would rather go with the rocky mountain Ti' 100's.Or Something else around 1 1/8" cutting diameter should fly fine.Alot of people are swearing by montecs also,but I'm not into sharpening my heads.Hope I helped.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Well I thought of that also, so I shot a group with 100 grain Thunderheads and still had my groups around 2" low and 3" right same as the Muzzys. I'm still not sure its nota spine issue.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try the 340's if you can. I have a Bowtech Patriot anda Mathews Switchback both set to the same draw lenght and weight. The Patriot likes the 340 spine but the Switchback shoots better with a 400.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 PM

I've had those exact problems too, though with the three blade Muzzy100. Switched to 100 MONTEC's and I'll probably nevershoot anything else. I love the fact that I can sharpen them and save the $15 I used to spend on Muzzy replacement blades. So yeah, I too swear by 'em. As for the arrows,you're kinda on the verge, right there in the middle ground. As your setup stands, the 340'smight be a bit stiff, and the 400's a little weak. So either use the 340's you already have and add 2-3 lbs. draw weight or drop 2-3 lbs. (that's what I'd do) and use 400's. However, buying different points is a lot cheaper than another dozen arrows...a heavier point makes an arrow weaker, a lighter point makes an arrow stiffer. You could leave yourdraw weight the sameand shoot a 125-150 gr. point and get by with the 340's. Hope I've helped and not added confusion.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 AM

Sometimes the 4 blade head just wont get that pin point accuracy . You might try a larger vane to stablize better . Try this take the blades out and then shoot the heads they should hit dead on just a bit high if not change broadheads again. Maybe expandables.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you think they are underspined there is a quick inexpensive check. It's called limb bolts. Turn the weight down about 5 lbs and try again. If things tighten up then maybe you do need stiffer arrows, but why spend the money before you know for sure.