Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Slick Trick Problems

Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Slick Trick Problems

Well first, Ive been reading the forums for a while now and its amazing at how much info is on here, I figured it was time to get involved. Heres my problem. Im shooting a buckmaster G2XL with CX Terminators 6075's on a NAP quicktune 800. My draw weight is 70lbs. I shot thunderheads last year and really dont have any major complaints on them. Ive read so much about how great the slick tricks are that i had to try them for myself. Out to 30 yrds they shoot pretty damn well, no complaints other than they werent the sharpest outta the box but we can always fix that. Now on to the problem, I step out past 30 yrds and everything goes to pot.Shooting tight groups out to25yrds. At 30 yrds im shooting probably 5 inch groups, not the greatest in the world but to me its nothing to be completely nervous about, still consistent groups. I step out to 35 and all of a sudden i can barely hit the freakin target. Thought it was me at first so i stepped back up to 30 and im groupin again. Step back and im all outta whack again. I did this probably 4 times shooting 3-4 arrows at each yardage. I can only guess that there has to be some contact there???? but at the same time i would think i would be able notice the problem at 30yrds but i dont. Any suggestions would be great. Time is of the essance which is partially my fault but ive been shooting field points with no problem at alll so i never thought i would have this trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else im going to switch to blazers and see if the fletchings help out. Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Slick Trick Problems

I'd say you've got a 30 yard limit on deer this year, ehh? It's either that or screw your Thunderheads back on. Frankly, your situation is just plain weird. You paper tuned, right?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM

I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like your bow is out of tune. This will not show up with fieldpoints, but will with broadheads, even small ones like ST. I think you should do some paper tuning and group tuning and go from there. Just my $0.02.

JMAC
Old 09-21-2005, 12:55 AM

I got to agree with jmac on this one . Sounds like your bow is out of tune . Dont mean to offend but your set up sounds like one comonly sold at wal-mart. Not that this is bad but if so the bow is most asuradly out of tune . I busted a string last year while on the second day of a hunting trip which happend to be a Sunday well the town had no bowshop and the only option was wal-mart so I baught a Buckmaster set up from them .I tuned on this bow for several hours before it would group well out to 50 yrds.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be any number of things, but in my experience it's not the Slick tricks. To see what I mean put a few thunderheads on your arrows and shoot them at 35 yards. I suspect your groups will be even worse. It could be bow tune, but more likely it's a form/shooting problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:10 AM

Actually it was setup at a local archery shop. Unfortunatley i dont have 1000$ to lay down on a top of the line bow/setup but i can assure you that it wasnt set up by some rookie. Ive had the bow for about 2 and a half years and never had any problems with it in fact I dropped a 9 pt last year with it. I guess my im just lost as to why i havent had this problem in the past couple years. It just seems to have created itself and i really havent changed anything on my "walmart setup" haha. Quick question, on a 3 blade FB I know you line the blades up with the fletchings. What about these 4 bladed broadheads, Ive never shot 4 blades before so Ive never even thought about it but is there a right way to put them on being that its impossible to line up 4 blades with 3 fletchings?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Are you dropping the bow to see how there flying.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:05 AM

I'm thinking that your bow might be out of tune. You say that you have had it for 2-1/2 years. Have you replaced the string on it? My G2's string stretched after 2 years and I had it replaced. It shot better than new. Try a paper tune and see if you are shooting nock high or low.

You do not have to line up your blades with the fletching.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 AM

Well I'm Definetley going to paper tune it this weekend so i guess that will tell the story. Hopefully i can pinpoint the problem and get it taken care of. Thanks for the help so far but any more opinions are welcome.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you are describing does sound kinda strange. I have to agree with 5 shot about the idea that it is very unlikely to be the Slick Tricks. In my experience, the Slick Tricks are much more likely to give field point flight and accuracy than most other heads I've tried such as Muzzy. If there is a problem with the tune of your bow, then you will probably notice poor flight with broadheads, and most likely different impact point compared to field points. If your broadhead tipped arrows hit in the same general place as field tips, but group and or fly much worse, then there may be an arrow-related problem. I'd try numbering the arrows, to see if individual arrows are consistently shooting off. Try putting the broadheads on the arrow, then spinning the arrows on the tip of the broadhead to check for any wobble. If these arrows are a few years old, they may have spine issues leading to poor accuracy with broadheads. Why do I mention this? A few years ago, I bought a used bow that had several CE Terminator Select arrows with it. This is actually a better grade of arrow than you mentioned (.003 straightness compared to .006). I got 9 arrows with the bow. 5 of them would shoot well with broadheads, and 4 would not. At ranges beyond 30 yards, they were off enough to be scary. They shot decent with field points, but not with broadheads. Any misalignment or problem with the arrows will give you fits trying to shoot open blade broadheads, even Slick Tricks. The fletching you are using may not be controlling the arrow flight well enough also. Helical fletched Blazers should give you good control, as long as the fletching is not contacting your rest, riser, or cables. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Slick Trick Problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.