Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable Wear

Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Cable Wear

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my cable wear from my cable guide. I changed my cable guide but I think my cables are worn from the last guide I had on. I have very slight fraying in the guide area. I have always waxed before and after shooting but I'm just worried that the damage has been done. Another question I have is will weather factor to cable wear? Currently it's about 80-90 degrees and humid here in Hawaii. When I go to Texas in Novemberand hunt the weather usually is much colder. 30-60 degrees. My concern is that the climate change will affect my cable wear. Is this possible and should I replace my cable/string now? I have had climate affect my bulletaccuracy before so this is why I ask. Different materials react to different climates. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cable Wear

I don't think the weather is a factor to cable wear. It is 100 degrees today
in TX and I will be shooting the same cable when it is 25 degreesin january. If
your cable is frayed it would probably be a good idea to change it.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM

I let a cable go too long and when the bow blew up in my face i got a piece of an ACC in my left arm. So when in doubt change it.......
Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

The cost of a cable is pretty cheap insurance, for safety and for the possibility of a ruined trip. If you think it might be really damaged, change it.

I don't think weather change would have anything to do with whether it is already damaged or not, nor would it be likely to cause more damage, seeing that you removed the source of the original potential damage (is that confusing or what?[:-]).
Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have very slight fraying and the shop said it was OK??? I think I will get it changed and at the same time up my # to 60. I know I will have to make adjustments on my sight but it will be minor. Any suggestions on brand of String/Cable to use. I want the best that will resist wear and tear. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Cable Wear Update

I had my bow inspected at the only Pro Shop on IslandandI trust the woman who owns it. The current wear is from the previous slide and it is just usual wear. Though MURPHY is always around, currntly there is no deficiencies to the cable. I did however buy a Ultra Nok XL because I'm destroying my nok loop so I wanted something more durable. Thanks to all who replied with guidence.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:30 AM

Diver you cant go wrong with winners choice strings and cables. you just cant hardly wear them out if you take care of them.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:39 AM

one thing that's possible going from hot to cold or vice versa, on a 8125 string it can effect your speed by a few fps and even your peep rotation in extreme temps.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the very worst things you can put on a string is a metal nock-loop. I've seen broken strands under the serving from them that goes unnoticed till the string just lets go. Things get ugly when that happens. If you are getting excessive wear on a string loop it's most likely that you have a rough spot on your release somewhere. I've never seen anything good using a metal loop.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:29 PM

BGfisher,
Thanks for bringing that up. I did ask about that and stress points at point of contact. What we've done is made a small silicone rubber wrap for the area. I installed it last night and shot for about 45 minutes. After each round of 3 arrows I inspected the area closely with light and magnifying glass to see if any wear was occuring. I didn't see anything. As from previous posts, I try to take care of my bow by inspecting it every time I shoot. I am pleased with the U-K xl. Because Of the rigidness of the Nok loop I must maintain proper form. I had noticed that I was turning my thumb down prior to release, meaning I was really gripping my release instead of relaxing and just easing the trigger. My shots are consistantly in my 1" square I placed on my target vitals. Like anything we do that is new, we learn from trial and error. Though when a cable/string breaks the error can be a costly one. Thanks for your advise and guidance. Keep it coming. I truly appreciate it. I am in the future going to probably upgrade to a better bow. Right now it's trial and error to better myself as a archer. Stay in touch. Good hunting to all this year.