Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Okay, now I have a question about feathers

Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Okay, now I have a question about feathers

It's been more like 50 years for me, and I know what I wrote is true. If you're like me, you might sit out a shower in your stand, but you aren't hunting. I guess that's what you do, since you said you took those deer BETWEEN showers.

How do I kill anything with my arrows covered up in my quiver? Quite simple. I don't. Here's how it works. 1) See deer. 2) Remove arrow from quiver and put it on the string. 3) Deer comes in. 4) Draw and shoot.

I've never figured out why anyone would want to sit there all day long with an arrow already on the string, then buy all kinds of fancy doohickeys to keep that arrow from falling off when he picked his bow up. But, each to his own, I guess. (Doesn't mean I can't laugh at him though.)

That's the way I've done it since.... well, since way before Hollis Allen ever invented those ridiculous looking contraptions with pulleys and cables and started calling them compound bows. And I guarantee you I've done just as much hunting in wet weather as you have.

You ain't getting ganged up on. It's just an exchange of opinions. Just keep in mind I know how stubborn and mule headed Texas boys can be... cuz I am one.[8D]
Old 09-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
Well, on an arrow with decent mass, like the 2315, you won't see a huge difference between 4" vanes and 5" feathers. The arrow's weight will have enough momentum to maintain downrange speed in spite of the extra drag.
Thanks... That's what I was wondering and exactly what I needed to know.
An aluminum 2315 with standard 4" vanes is still the most inexpensive setup around. I mean you can pick up a dozen XX75's for dirt cheap.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 AM

feathers are more forgiving than a vanes are... that's whyI use them..
Old 09-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Okay- I used to use feathers on my old setup and loved them. Question is my new setup has a WB and shoots about 250 fps. Will the feathers survive the bisquit? Arrows came with not so good vanes and it is time to replace, if I can't use feathers I will go with Blazers.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:07 AM

my arrows at least the one im gonna shoot is on my string.field points may fly the same in your bow with wet feathers but with broadheads I think not. wet feathers may come rite back in steam but I dont know anyone who has a steamer or a tea kettle in the tree. so while you feather guys are not hunting in the rain or keepin your arrows covered up or your back at camp steaming them back in shape me and my plastin waterproof vanes will be in a tree in a monsoon shooting a huge swamp buck.
Try this (I have) - Take an arrow with feathers and broadhead, dip the feathers in a bucket of water and then shoot it at a 15 yard target (a bit further then the average hunting shot). You're going to hit real close to where is would hit if dry. Your not likely to ever shoot further in a downpour. I've hunted in the rain, using feathers, many times and have never experienced any problem because I had feathers on my arrows. All the other advantages far outweight any tiny disadvantage in a downpour.

As for steaming your arrow in the tree, I assume you were not serious. No one would ever have to. First, we do that at home before the hunt. If I damaged a feather while climbing a tree, it's still very shootable. If I damage a vane while climbing, I might as well throw that arrow back in the quiver. It won't shoot worth a crap.

The only real advantages of vanes are that some are cheaper, and most are slightly quieter.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:51 AM

WE SHOOT COMPOUND BOWS AROUND HERE TOO OUT 50 YRDS AND AT 300 FPS PUT THAT SAME ARROW IN A BUCKET AND SHOOT IT AT THOSE SPECS THEN TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS. the arrow will hit nowhere close to the dry one. no iwas just kidding with arthur about the steam he is a good sport and i like ribing him every now and then. my average shot is 30 yrds rain or not. ai have never damaged a vane just by climbing a tree . i dont like hunting in them tiger claw arrow eating thorn trees. plus i got 4 arrows in my quiver and i only need one so i got a spare or two. i like feathers for my recurve and long bow for obvious reasons but not my 307 fps BOWTECH PATRIOT she dont digest wet feathers well at longer yardage and i can shoot a bare shaft at 15 yards and hit my spot. so 15 yards dont impress me much sorry. i shot a 375 lb boar at 35 yrds in a pretty good rain . i would not have attempted it with feathers butmaybe i will try them again and let you know how they do when wet at 50 yrds or so.