Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning and trophy taker

Old 09-18-2005, 03:57 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default Paper tuning and trophy taker

Question for you guys. Went to the bowshop yesterday with a couple buddies to paper tune our bows and make sure everything was set for the season. Both of them have trophy taker fall away rests, not sure what models. A few shots through the paper and they both got consistent good tears, all good. In walks the smartest guy in the world, we didn't need to ask him, and he says why bother with the paper with those rests? He said they have done slow motion photography and the drop away rests bounce up after they fall and hit the tail of the arrow making paper tuning unreliable and impossible. I hadn't heard this before and was wondering if there was anything to it? I'm inclined not to believe it as he was helping his buddy set his draw length and the poor guy is going to take his ear off with the string before the season is over, it was only about 3 inches too long. He also proceeded to tell me that you can't use quick spins to hunt with as they are far too noisy when shooting elk at 80 yards.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Paper tuning and trophy taker

That seems weird.
I have the Trophy Taker rest and put it on another bow of mine. I did the paper test and had to move the nock point up just a bit. Did the paper test again and it's shooting just fine. I can only assume that if the rest is hitting the arrow I would never have good holes. I certainly could be wrong but his statement seems a bit fishy.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:14 PM

I shoot the same rest and shoot cockvane up. If I shoot cockvane down I barely, barely clip the rest. I have also shot with it slightly to the side without any contact but for consistency I shoot cock vane up.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Hey, I know a guy like that. Always talkin', never saying anything. Forget about what the dude said about drop-aways bouncin' up. Try this; pull on the cord against the spring to raise the TT, now let go and see if it bounces back up. Yup, that's what I thought.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: AR34

Hey, I know a guy like that. Always talkin', never saying anything. Forget about what the dude said about drop-aways bouncin' up. Try this; pull on the cord against the spring to raise the TT, now let go and see if it bounces back up. Yup, that's what I thought.
Very well put !!!!!

I have the TT and it bullet holes thru paper....