Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

Old 09-13-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

I screwed up my back racing . I been hunting in colorado fora long time , but never with a bow. I really want to get into bowhunting but not sure my back can handle it, So if you or anyone you know bowhunts with a bad back and doesn't have any problem drawing back a bow, please let me know
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

Did you injure your upper back or your lower back?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:22 PM

The doc saysI got 2 bulging disks in my lower back
Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 PM

Although that is bad news, it may also be good news. I believe you only use your upper back while bowhunting. I am not 100% sure, so I would wait for another guy to chime in.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got 5 bad discs (3 herniated and 2 others that have been ruptured) in my lower back and 3 more in my neck, along with arthritis throughout my spine and bone spurs that impinge the nerve roots serving my legs. Probably have more problems in my thoracic spine, but they haven't scanned that part of my back yet. I can draw and shoot recurves and longbows up to 50 pounds with no problem. My problem is simply getting around in the woods. I don't walk very well any more.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Traditional bows would be easier for you to shoot. With compounds they have a hard back wall. You have to pull back there then suddenly stop. If you let off of that wall your arm will be jerked foreward. You may be able to handle a compound though. Go to your bow shop and test shoot some out.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the help, I think ill go down to the local shop try a couple of bows and
see witch kind feel the best. Now thati know what to look for
thanks again
Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 PM

When you draw your bow back, make sure you use your shoulder blade muscles. If you are drawing back too much weight you may lean back and use your lower back muscles, like I did before. I am just warning you not to use your lower back muscles. They are not necessary for archery.

I also warn you to not dip ketchup in the mustard while eating a corndog. The mustard will slide right off of the ketchup. Dip the meaty delight in mustard first if my must do it that way. You could also make a line of mustard and ketchup side by side. That way you can get two condements while only dipping once.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

People with a bad lower back should only do the double condiment dip with extreme caution![8D]

zak, put the beer on the table and slowly back away. You've had enough for tonight.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

zak, put the beer on the table and slowly back away. You've had enough for tonight.
Yeah Zak. You have definetly had enough for tonight.

Man, I can't stop laughing.[8D]

What the heck was that???????

Quick Reply: Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.