Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shot placement on target from treestand..

Old 09-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Default shot placement on target from treestand..

this may be kind of a dumb question but how far do you aim up on the deer when your shootin from your treestand...lets say 20 yards..about how much higher would you want to place your pin on the target?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 PM

Default RE: shot placement on target from treestand..

Some may say otherwise, but I aim exactly where I want my arrow to hit.

If I want a lower lung/heart shot I aim lower if I want to center punch the lungs I aim for the middle of the chest.

I haven't noticed any difference in aiming from a treestand and from the ground.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter
I haven't noticed any difference in aiming from a treestand and from the ground.
If you shoot deer that are close to your stand you will have to aim higher to hit the lungs. The farther away the deer, the lower you aim. You should never shoot for anything under the killzone, which would mean you are shooting uphill.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
t3

I aim exactly where i want to put my arrow because I use a pendulum sight.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM

I think he means where do you have to aim if you want to hit the lungs from a treestand. You cannot aim at the lungs and hit them if you are shooting a deer ten yards out and twenty feet up. You have to aim a little higher. I cannot tell you how much higher that is though. The simple way to put it is to aim for the exit hole.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

You aim for the horrizontal distance from the base of the tree to the deer. Not from you to the deer.

Zak, you aim lower, not higher.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls just showed the reason why I range BEFORE I get in my tree, or if I need to range while in it, I range a tree at my height close to the object im shooting at.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Sorry, it looks like I misread the question. You can find the answer to that question by using the pythagorean theorem. The forumla for that is A squared+ B squared = C squared.

A- How high you are in the tree. We will just say 20'.
B- The distance you are from the deer. We will say 20 yards.
C- The answer of A and B after they have been added together.

First you have to find a common variable, which is feet. You are 20' up shooting 60' away. Plug in 20' for A, and 60' for B. You have to square A (you should get 400') and square B (you should get 3600'). You then add A and B (which is 400' + 3600') and get 4000'. The problem should look like this:

400' + 3600' = 4000'
You can verify this by adding 400' + 3600'. Does it equal 4000'? Yes it does, therefore it is correct.

Since we squared the problem, we have to find the square root of C. After square rooting 4000' you get 63.24'.

Since you want the answer in yards, you have to divide the answer, 63.24', by three. The answer is 21.08 yards. You have to compensate for 1.08 yards.

Conclusion- You do not have to aim any higher unless you shoot a bow like ButchA's!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 20 yards I will aim 2" high. This will take the top on one lung, the top of the heart and the bottom of the opposite lung. The closer the game the higher my aiming point.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:37 AM

There is only one good way to aim in my opinion(all conditions). That is where you want the arrow to come out of the animal. If the animal is close and the angle is steep I aim for the bottom of the far lung. If the animal is quartering away hard, I aim for the far lung. Always works great.

Quick Reply: shot placement on target from treestand..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.