Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shot placement on target from treestand..

Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shot placement on target from treestand..

I shoot from a tree stand(in a tree of course)at a target.
Thenyou can see for yourself where your arrow is actualy going.
angle,pitch ,whatever!
Try to mimick what you'll be experiancing in the woods.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 PM

You don't have problems with this if the bow is sighted in from a tree stand, thats what I do every year before the season, that way I don't have to adjust for elevation in the stand, except if the deer is 15yds or less. Probably the best thing to do if you have an available stand and tree, set it up at your desired stand height and shoot away, you will notice a big difference from shooting from the ground.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:33 AM

The simple way to put it is to aim for the exit hole.

zaks got the right idea. where my arrow goes in is determined by where I want the arrow to exit. I want the arrow to pass through 2 lungs plus I want to cut something around the heart area. so my exit hole is by the far front leg. depending on the deers distance and my height in the tree and how the deer is angled to me at the time determines where my pin is aimed. so look at the pictures of deer atnatomy and figure out how to cut two lungs and heart and large arteries with one pass through the deer look at all angles and you will see where to aim.. you will also see that some angles are not possible..
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM

Yep...look at the angles as Bees and Zak says. This is true for any shot placement, being in a tree, shooting uphill, or downhill. Where I hunt you get more angledor elevatedshots than straight on shots due to terrain.

A good way to look at angles is suspend a ball about the size of a deer heart inthe middle of abox frameor 3-D target (take out the vitals section).Place your arrow at different angles thru the box or target, letting it"peirce" the vitals. I learned this trick at a bow classI attended last year, and it really gives you a good idea as where you want to draw your bead for the optimum shot on an animal. For example, on a quartering away shot from an elevated position, you would aim for a spot behind the ribs just under the spine so your arrow passed thru and into the lung/heart area.

Ipersonally rangeeverything from the ground beforeIgo into the treestand, although there is debate on if it makes a difference or not. With todays flat shooting bows, anything inside 30 yardsI doubt you'll see much difference.

I have heard that you want to aim low in case the deer "jumps" the string, but once agian not only are the bows flat shooting, with the speeds of the bows it would not make a difference in this case either.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:13 AM

Knowing where you want an arrow to go and putting it there are two different things. I will say this, my bow shoots dead on at 25 yards from the ground. It shoots dead on at 33 yards from 20 feet up in a tree. I practice from a stand befor the season. The higher you go, the more steep the angle. High hunters get one lung shots alot, due to the angle.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Aim for where you want the arrow to hit. I once had a D L that was to long and I had to site in from the tree. If your bow fits and you come to full draw it won,t make any differents. Its the same for for me, ground or up the tree. Think about where your arrow will exit. Don,t get to technical. Just get out there and practice. You will become better at judging ranch and knowing what your bow and arrows will do the more you shoot. If you feel you need a range finder, used one,but todays bow are very flat shooting out to normal ranges you would take a deer at.