Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need help with string loop

Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 PM

Default need help with string loop

i hae descided to swich from my hard d-ring to back to a string loop thinking that it will quiet my bow down,,which it did,,but my question is how to get it short enough so that i am back to my orignal archor or close to it with out adjusting my draw lenght,,
also how do u get a good "burger" on the end so that the knots dont pull though,,i tried fraying the ends but still am not quite comfortalbe with them
Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Default RE: need help with string loop

I use the end of a very small allen wrench to fray the end of the loop material and my finger tip until I get a dime sized fray. Then first melt it slowly all around the outside while turning the material and it will soon satrt toburn. I watch it until the ball gets to the size I like and blow it out. Don't touch the ball until it's cooled very well! I then cut the material to about 4 1/4 inches and fray and burn the other end, just about right for me.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:29 AM

Silverhawk - I don't even try to fray the ends; simply heat both with a match until I get the size knob I want. As for length, I tie the loop as small (e.g. short) as my hands will allow -sometimes even use needle nose pliers to coax the string through the knot. When I have both knots formed and the ends of the string melted, I insert the needle nose pliers through the loop and pry them apart as hard and as far as I can (I do this several times to stretch the string as much as possible). This will pull the knots tight and creat the length needed in the loop. If the resulting loop is longer than I wanted, I'll untie one knot, retie it even shorter, cut the excess string, remelt, and then restretch with the pliers until I get the length I'm after.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Check out this website:

http://www.alseaintegration.com/ptc/string_loop.htm

There are some short clips at the bottom of the page of a guy tying on a string loop.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

I use the end of a very small allen wrench to fray the end of the loop material and my finger tip until I get a dime sized fray. Then first melt it slowly all around the outside while turning the material and it will soon satrt toburn. I watch it until the ball gets to the size I like and blow it out. Don't touch the ball until it's cooled very well! I then cut the material to about 4 1/4 inches and fray and burn the other end, just about right for me.
This is pretty much how I did mine. And as wwag mentioned don't touch the ball until it's cooled. If you do you'll deform it and/or it will break off.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I light the ends let them burn maybe 10 sec. Blow it out and push against a hard surface to make the size I like.