Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stabilizer question

Old 09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Stabilizer question

Although I have been shooting a compound on and off for a couple years, I'm still not real in tune with bow technology. I have a PSE Beast that is super quiet when shot. I also have a F5 Tornado by Browning (PSE) that has a pretty good slap sound or crack when the arrow is released. Both bows were set up at a pro shop for my draw length ,ect. My question is this.. Does the stabilizer make a big difference in shock absorbtion? I have the same limb savers and whiskers on both bows the only difference is the Browning has a solid steel ( i think) stabilizer and the Beast has a camo plastic type with something inside of it. Is this my noise difference? If so,what kinds of stabilizer would you recommend? THANKS!
Old 09-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Default RE: Stabilizer question

Try switching them around and see if that is the problem.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Zak, you could try switching the stabilizers and see if there is any noticable difference. Some stabilizers are simply weighted to add forward weight to the bow while others have various materials inside (sand, liquid, etc.) to absorb additional vibration.

Don't forget that they are two different bows entirely. There are some bows (like my old PSE) that are noisy no matter how much silencing equipment is on it.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A stabilizer will not correct this problem.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

A stabilizer will not correct this problem.
I disagree with this statement. Buckeyebowhntr sent me a stabilizer a year ago. I put it on my PSE and it made a world of difference. It helped to reduce the vibration and noise from my bow.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I stated before, a stabilizer WILL NOT quiet a noisy bow. Even the rubber segmented stabilizers will not eliminate bow noise. Shock when the arrow is released starts at the tips of both limbs and travels from the tips to the center line of the bow or grip area through the limbs, string and cables and will continue to do so until all the shock from the release is expended. Proper tuning and additional mass arrow weight will reduce noise in most bows. Many of today's short axle to axle or speed bows have inherent problems with limb pocket noise that can not be eliminated totally. A stabilizer will do just that, stabilize the bow arm for a steadier shot and help reduce vibration, not noise after the shot.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sniper, with all due respect, Vibration does cause noise. Therefore eliminating vibration is helping to eliminate noise. Obviously no stabilizer completely eliminates all sound. Limb savers work in the same way, they absorb vibrations in the limbs which help reduce noise. Not be argumentative, but I purchased a Doinker Hoyt stabilizer (ironically from Buckeye) and it eliminated a great deal of noise as opposed to the steel stab I had on before.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 PM

i think stabilizers are a great technology that came out for bows..i can see a lot of difference when i put one on my first bow..my second bow came with one and i can tell a huge difference in shooting my bow..
Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your right dwd, vibration does cause noise. Now how do you fix this problem? Find the source and tighten or replace the parts that are vibrating. Not with a little piece of rubber but repair the vibration. Sights, quivers and all the attachments on a bow will vibrate and cause some noise, you find the source and fix it. The stabilizer can reduce some vibration, but not all. Why depend on reducing vibration noise when, in most cases, it can be eliminated. Shock from release is the biggest culprit in creating noise. I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about. The guy that shoots and the bow sounds like an old wooden screen door slamming. A 6' stabilizer plugged into a sand pile won't help this.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

is there such a thing as a quiet bow???? more moving parts.. more noise .I have a blow dart gun propelled by internal lung capacity and it makes noise. Keep shooting .......get the element of surprise...thru camo ,scentcover, wind, and stealth. Just hope your quarry doesnt jump the string. With the IBO speeds on most bows...Id say the odds even with bow noise are in our favor. 200-300 feet per second...thats a hundred yards in a second or two or three and most if not all bow shots are taken at an even closer range. Most animals will freeze to locate sound BOOYAH...its hit
fight4yagunz..is super quiet....silent???..I think not...good luck and be safe out in the field

Quick Reply: Stabilizer question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.