Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bad cam?

Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bad cam?

I picked up a Switchback today and after dinner I started getting it setup. On approx. my 23rd shot the bow really sounded loud on the release and my arrow sailed over the back of my bag target and into a concrete wall. Upon further inspection I found the cable came off the bottom cam. [:'(] Any ideas what could cause something like this to happen? Defective cam perhaps?

Old 09-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad cam?

Here is the Beman ICS Hunter 340. You can't really see it in the picture but the field tip and inser are pushed down into the shaft. lol Sorry for the large pics! [&:]

Old 09-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read about this happening with anotherbrand (BT liberty)and the consensus seemed to point to possible torquing the bow during the shot.

I have no idea if that is the case though. I'd take to the shop and have it looked at if that's an option.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave. I'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow since they are closed on Sundays. For the life of me I can't think of what could have gone wrong if anything. I've replayed the draw and release over and over and don't recall anything unusual except the sound it made on the release. :shrug:

Old 09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope they find something as the cause, otherwise I'd be real leary of triggering the release each time I shot.

Talk about gun shy[]
Old 09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I'll be too gun shy with the bow. But I'll definately be keeping my eye on that bottom cam. I've done a little searching on the web and so far it doesn't appear to be acommon issue with the Switchback. I'm wondering if I'll have to pay for a new string? I forgot to ask that when I called the dealer last night.

Ah well, guess I'll find out tomorrow. Gonna go tinker with my Patriot for now. Picked up a drop away conversion kit for my GFK Infiniti rest.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Patriot and a Switchback! wow, someone has got it going on.

So what year is your Pat and which one is your favorite????
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveC

A Patriot and a Switchback! wow, someone has got it going on.

So what year is your Pat and which one is your favorite????
The Patriot has been my favorite since I picked it up. It is an 03' model. It's been very reliable and is just a pleasure to shoot.

The Switchback was an impulse purchase plain and simple. [8D] I shot one earlier this year and liked it but decided to hold off. I just happened to find a good deal on one and decided to take the plunge.

The only real distinquishable difference between the two (in my hands) is the draw curve. The Patriot is smooth and consistant from start to finish. The Switchback builds up quite a bit before finally hitting let-off. Other than that they both feel really good.

I don't have a chrono so I am not sure how they compare speed wise but they are in the same ballpark in terms of IBO speed and seem to shoot about the same.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Was there a posibility that something could have got wedged between the cam and the string and rolled the string off when you shot? Grass or a twig could do it or a piece of rubber from a silencer maybe?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was pretty much the way I felt about the Switchback. A little heavier with a different (striffer up front) draw force curve than my Pat.

Both great bows, ones kinda a carbon copy with some more do-hickies on it than the other.
33 ata
7" brace
318 + ibo

But the Pat doesn't have the "Dual perimeter weighted cobra cam" said in my coolest TV guy voice...............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.