Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bad cam?

Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Bad cam?

My first guess would be cam lean, resulting in the string not tracking straight onto the cam after the shot and jumping off.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, just returned from the localdealer andas it turns out out the bottom cam was bent. [:'(] When the dealer took off the string the cam wouldn't freely spin on the axle. So he ordered me a new cam which will take a 7-10 days to get in. He's not sure if the string is going to need replaced. He's going to take off the serving and see if the cable is damaged. If not he'll reserve it but if it is then the string will have to be replaced.

So it's going to end up costing me $65 for a new cam and possibly another $60 for a new Barracuda string. [:'(][&:][:@]

Now I need to get back in touch with the shop I bought it from (in WV) and let them know what is going on. I can't help but to feel misled. I thought I was buying a bow that had less than 20 shots on it and was never registered. After speaking with Bob from Mathew's today I found out otherwise. [:@]

I hold myself partially to blame but this is rediculous. Buyer beware I guess. [>:][:'(][&:][&o]
Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So much for the good deal[>:]. Sounds like this is exactly the reason it was a good deal and using the words "misled" is putting it very nicely.

I hope the shop you bought it from makes thing right.

A bent cam, Makes me wonder........
Old 09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just left a msg. for the guy I bought it from. Hopefully something can be worked out. [&:]
Old 09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I finally got in touch with the guy that I bought the bow from. I pretty much received the response I was expecting. He told me the bow was checked out before it was sold and that they didn't find any such problems. Nobody can say for sure where the problem originated. For all we know it was a factory defect. There is just now way to prove anything at this point.

What's that saying about playing with fire and eventually getting burned? I've bought bows from Ebay and Archery Talk in the past and never had a problem. I guess sooner or later it was bound to happen. Lesson well learned.[&:]

Now I just need to hope and pray that the limbs aren't bad. That will be expensive!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. If you have any doubts you can express them on his feedback. Maybe not a slamolla feedback, but one stating the facts as you know them.

At this point in the game I don't see myself ever buying a BT or Mathews used w/out the warranty. Unless it was such a bargain it wouldn't matter (like my $114.00 shipped AT Stalker[8D])

I hope it's robin hoods and xXs from here on out. If you were considering a draw length adjustment, now is the time to do it.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thought I'd share a pic of the super secret Cobra cam! At this point I'll pay the price for the repairs. Overall it's still works out cheaper than buying a brand new bow. But not having a warranty is the kicker. And just to make 100% sure I did have my draw length checked again at the shop today. Unfortunately he had the cams for all other draw lengths except the one that I needed. lol Just my luck.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:45 PM

yeah the only thing i can say is did somthing get in the way of the cam and the string like grass or twig somthin like that..if not that then somthing when manufacturing the bow went wrong..but good idea about takin it to the shop thats what id do..
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nah, I was shooting in my in my garage so there was nothing to get in the way of the cam. The Mathew's technical rep. told me the only way the string could come off the cam was if the bow was severly torqued during the shot or if the bow was dry fired. Neither of those happened in my situation. There is not a single mark or scratch on the cam. It looks brand new until you look at it straight on and see the bent part.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

OUCH, that's one ugle bend.
How many arras did you sling through it before the cable/string flew off the track? I bet you'd really like to know when exactly it happened. ( I wonder if it slowly got worse in time & bit you?)

You weren't trying to pull 100# Out of a 60# bow were ya? j/k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.