Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need Help / Advice with Tuning Problems

Old 09-30-2002, 02:25 AM

Default Need Help / Advice with Tuning Problems

I have a Mathews Ultra2, Whisker Biscuit, String Loop, Little Goose Release.
I tried paper tuning this weekend and had a bad left tear. By the time I was finished I had moved the rest all the way to the right where it was obviously out of alignment (almost against the riser".
I just kept moving it to see what would happen and at this point the tear was only slightly up.
Could the rest be causing the problem or should I look elsewhere, take the bow back to the shop, or what?
Thanks
Old 09-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Help / Advice with Tuning Problems

Whisker bisquits are one type of rest I simply detest, but it's not causing this problem.

I had a single cam once that would tune to the neatest, cleanest bullet hole you could imagine, way off centershot to the right. But the further you shot, the further right the arrows would hit. Turns out the carbon arrows I was shooting were right at the top of their spine range and simply were not enough arrow for that bow. When I put stiffer spined arrows on it, the bow lined out and turned into a shooter.

You don't say what brand, model and size arrows you're shooting or what your draw length and draw weight are, but I suspect your arrows are underspined.

Also, paper tuning is just as much, or more, of a test of your shooting form as it is a test of bow tune. You could be torquing the bow pretty bad and causing that left tear.

So, go back to the pro shop, double check your arrow selection and, if the arrow you chose is anywhere close to the top of it's spine range, move up to the next size. Have them reset your centershot and watch you shoot to see if they can detect any torque. You might also try a stabilizer in the 8-12" range to help you control the torque.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:52 AM

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/ Download the tuning guide and read all about tuning and spine ect ect
Old 09-30-2002, 08:07 AM

According to the description of your problem and the corrective action you attempted, your problem is most like a SPINE issue.

Put your rest back to center and back off your draw weight in small increments.

If your shooting helical and/or your shaft is not cleanly leaving your rest, the "Whacking Basket" may be contributing to your problem.

After all, the "Whacking Basket" contradicts every important rule of minimal shaft contact to rest and fletch clearance.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 01:53 PM

Well, you guys were right, I am having grip problems torquing the bow. I knew it wasn't my arrows, I have a friend who has the same setup and he was shooting the arrows fine.
I going to take your adivce and work on it. I am shooting accurate now for the most part but its kind of aggravating knowing things are quite right.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 07:16 PM

Thanks for that tip, I do need help with a consistant grip.