Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Average Shot Distance

Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Average Shot Distance

Average shot has been 27. Longest 43. Shortest 0 (Dead bellow the stand) For whitetaillength of shot all depends on the animal and conditions. One day it would be stupid to take a 30 yards shot. The next day it might be fine to shoot one at 45.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just under 15 yards.
I like to get 'em close, and take them through openings in dense cover.

Although there are plenty of bowhunters in this forum, I would have posted this question in "Bowhunting".
Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I think you're ready for 25yds.I read somewhere 23yds is the average shot distance at a deer.The guys are steering you in the right direction at 20yds,but incase of yardage error,according to your target you would get him.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:10 PM

6 yards? You should have just clubbed it with your bow and saved the arrow! lol

Must have had your scent covered well. Impressive.

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

If you are a new hunter...keep it under 20 yards! Practice is great, but shooting in hunting conditions is another story.....
Very well said. I would tend to agree with the others. My average shot distance is probably about 12-15 yards with the closest being 6 and the farthest being 27.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 PM

The responses have been pretty much what I expected. 15 to 20 yards as an average. I've been doing about 90% of my practice now at 20 yards and am pretty much dead on shooting groups of 2 to 4 inches. My last couple of times out haven't been so good.....my right shoulder is a little sore. Probably a combination of shooting so often and some yard work last weekend catching up to me. I'm old now. (32)

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I vary all my distances between 10 yards to 60 yards. Most of my shooting is at 30 and 20. I live in an area that will give me good shots up to 60+ yards, so I practice out to 60 yards, but as for shot choice, I have taken a hog at 50+ but not much farther. I have taken deer out to 45 yards, but most of my shots are between 10 to 30 so that is what I practice the most.. Practice the distances you will get when you hunt.

Like mentioned; as a new hunter Id stick with noting longer than 30 until you get more practice in. I have been shooting for over 20 years and have worked my way up to the longer shots.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:07 PM

15 to 20 yds. Lots of things can go wrong in the woods.Remember to pick a spot on the Deer and not just shoot at the whole animal.Hunters do miss at 15 yds. Closes shoot 6yds-Longest 36yds. average-15 to 20 yds
Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you or put you down, but you posted a pic and asked a question.
If you are aiming at the "O" in hole from 20 yards and obviously you think that is a good group. (possibly your best since you posted it) I wouldn't be comfortable with that shooting. Your Group of 2 is OK but it's not on target!
Myself and probably most on here would be afraid to shoot at the same spot twice. Because, more often than not we'd Robinhood or at least have arrow to arrow contact. Once you keep practicing you'll get ther too. Practice more and then go practice..shoot during the season..pratcice practice
Old 09-10-2005, 02:01 PM

I did't think that at all Badatta.....

What I failed to mention was that was the only group I shot that night after getting home from having my arrows trimmed down from 32½ as they were out of the box down to 27½. My first shot was one of the high hits....just above the "kill zone". I thought I must have "flinched" but my 2nd arrow hit in the same spot.

I realized that my arrows were probably 15% - 20% lighter after having them trimmed down and must of had a flatter trajectory. On my next 2 shots.....I aimed below the "kill zone" and those are the 2 in the ring. I have since adjusted the sight on my bow and rarely miss outside the circle. I have an occasional flinch......still only 2 weeks into

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you or put you down, but you posted a pic and asked a question.
If you are aiming at the "O" in hole from 20 yards and obviously you think that is a good group. (possibly your best since you posted it) I wouldn't be comfortable with that shooting. Your Group of 2 is OK but it's not on target!
Myself and probably most on here would be afraid to shoot at the same spot twice. Because, more often than not we'd Robinhood or at least have arrow to arrow contact. Once you keep practicing you'll get ther too. Practice more and then go practice..shoot during the season..pratcice practice
Old 09-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Mine average 15-20 yards also. The closer the better for me.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:56 AM

i practice out to 40 yards, and have had success at it afield, so i'm confident at 40 but won't take any chances beyond it. closest was about 8 yards.

Quick Reply: Average Shot Distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.