Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

command cam + timing ?

Old 09-29-2002, 02:57 PM

Default command cam + timing ?

I have a 2002 Hoyt Magnatec with cc+ and was wondering how I can tell if the cams are in time. The Hoyt manual just says to have the cables inside the marks on the cams but when I have the cables the same length the draw stop on the bottom cam hits the cable before the top one does. Is this OK?
Old 09-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: command cam + timing ?

The Hoyt owners manual is only dealing with cam timing and that's only part of tuning the command cams. Timing is what allows the cams to roll through their optimum power range. The part the manual doesn't address is getting the cams synchronized with each other so they roll over at the same time. Make small adjustments to the cable lengths until both cams roll over and hit the wall at the same time. Don't worry about the timing marks being the same. As long as the cams are synchronized and the cables are between the marks, then you're in business.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:32 AM

I just got a Hoyt Ultratec with the command cams+ and it was'nt near as accurate as my ultratec target bow with a single cam. My string was also within the timing marks. I tied a short piece of rope from my rafters in the garage with a small hook on the end. Then put my bow string on the hook and pulled down with both hands on the riser. I was able to see exactly how the cams rolled over. One of the cable stops was hitting about 3/16 of a inch sooner than the other. I put a couple of twist in one of the buss cables to bring the cams over at the same time and now the bow seems to be shooting as good as I am capable of shooting it. What a difference! If you don't have a bow press you'll need to go to a pro shop. Good luck Rick
Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 AM

You do not need a bow press to put twists in your cables. You just need a hex head wrench. Take your bow and press the cables toward the riser, this will rotate your cams. Rotate the cams enough so you can put the wrench on the outside of the limb into one of the holes in the cam. This will take the force off the cable and you should be able to remove the cable and put twists on it. Only do one side at a time to be safe. I've done this many times on my Cybertec.