Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech patriot setting tiller???

Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowtech patriot setting tiller???

I was wondering when I checked my tiller its a 1/8 shorter at the top than the bottom,should this even?the bowtech manual says the tiller should be even.I do know on most single cams they say to just bottom both limbs out and turn them back equal turns,but I did this and its shorter on the top.also could someone tell me what they have there center shot set at?I think its supposed to be 13/16 from the inside of the riser.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech patriot setting tiller???

Not sure of the center shot of that bow, but your tiller should be even. Adjust it until it is even than try shooting and go from there. When you draw you bow back it should stay plumb not leaning back or down. Arthur had an excellent post awhile back you might check that out.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

1/8 inch shorter at top.
Are you measuring from the string top and bottom?
Or are you measuring by attaching a piece of thread tied on from A to A ?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your shooting an 04 or above your center shot will be ~15/16" or better out from the riser to the center of the shaft.

I did the tiller trick Arthur had posted a while back and took 1/2 turn off the top before it would pull straight back.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

i am shooting a 2003 patriot,also I was looking at the manual and it says axle to axle is 33 3/4.mine measures 34 1/8.I was using a t square and measuring from where the limb and riser meet to the front edge of the string.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

O.K now the easiest and most accurate way to measure the tiller is to attach a piece of thread from axle to axle.With a single cam bow,the cam and idler wheelare different sizes so it wont give you a proper reading from the string.
Also a bow is measured from the center of the axle to center of axle.
If it was indeed measured properly then I would say the strings and cables have stretched 1/2 an inch.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 PM

bowtech, as well as most other companies, spec's are +/- 1/4". so you're only really 1/8" long. probably take 8-10 twists in your string and 4 or 5 in your cable to bring it in to an acceptable range. put 4-5 twists in from each side of your string so they don't load up on 1 side of the idler wheel.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

maybe I'll call bowtech tommorrow and see what they say about the axle to axle.I took my string and cable off and measured them.the cable was ok.I had to take about 5 twists out of my string.this is a new string I got and after shooting for a while it did stretch a little I had put a few stwists back in it.and the cable too.I just put a few to many,but its in perfect time now.do I attach a piece of thread to the outside of the axle and measure up to the string?if so I would have to take the E clips off.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago it was said that shooting finger style the top should be 1/8" to 1/4" less brace height on the top limb compared to the bottom and wiith a release, even tiller. I have found that sometimes a slight adjustment in tiller must be made if your limbs are not matched perfectly. I would try small adjustments on the top limb to see if your grouping tightens. A good reference is on how far your nock set is above centerline with a bow square.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 AM

well, instead of originally taking 5 twists out of your string you could have put a couple in your cable to make that adjustment to your cam. bowtech will tell you spec's are +/- 1/4". when bowtech measures their strings they are under 100# of tension, at least that's my understanding, and i doubt you can match that just by stretching them out.

Quick Reply: Bowtech patriot setting tiller???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.