Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

still shooting high and to the right

Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 AM

Default still shooting high and to the right

just bought my first bow and i am trying to sight it in. at 20 yards i started to shoot high and to the right. so i moved the top pin as high as it can go. i have no more room to move the pin and im still shooting the same as before. i was wondering if i should lower my rest (NAP quicktune) . one more question, when i hold the bow, do i grip it tight or just keep my hand open? thanks. Pistol Pete
Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Default RE: still shooting high and to the right

if your using a peep site try moving it down, it worked for me .

When i shoot my hand is loose. I dont hold the grip tightly at all
Old 09-05-2005, 10:02 AM

how do i move the peep sight down? does one need one of those spreaders to move it?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

if your peep is tied on your going to have to cut serving under neath it,move it down and re tie it.this will bring your sight down.whats happening is your anchor ponit is really high.so that makes your sight high.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are not sure how to do it take it to a dealer they will help you. You do not squeeze a bow grip. When you draw back the pressure will hold it in your palm. When you release don't grab it. Get a wrist strap and let your bow start to fall before grabbing it. This will help you be really consistant over time.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM

It could very well be your anchor as others suggested, but dont just move the peep, you have to have a rhyme and reason for where it goes. A solid anchor point of bone to bone is one of the most important things for shooting accurately, consistently. Some cheaper sights dont adjust enough, and equipment should conform to you not the other way around. (for the most part). If you have a comfortable anchor, and its not rediculously far from your eye, you shouldnt have to switch anchors.

It could bethe rest too.
Your arrow should be about even with the plunger hole or rest hole (whichever you prefer to call it). If your arrow rest is causing the arrow to sit quite a bithigher than that, you may run into the problem you are experiencing.

Nocking point height can also have this effect. Make sure your arrow sits square to the string, or have the nock endslightly higher. 1/8" above square should be good.

Another thing to look at is;
Can you adjust the sight mounting bracket? Many sights come with a bracket that can be flipped over and allows for higher or lower sight settings. (The extension is offset, thereby allowing you to have the whole sight housing higher or lower)

I have seen plenty of great shooters with anchors that cause the sights to be very high in the sight window. Heck, I often have trouble with short sight window bows for that very reason. The sight will hit the top limb pocket on some of the smaller bows.

See if you cant get it worked out...and worst case scenario, move your anchor point.

By the way, you want the bow to rest in your hand along the thumb side of the life line. DoNOT palm the bow.Also, you do NOT want to grip the bow, but dont extend your fingers either! You want a relaxed grip. Usually the fingers curl in and touch the front of the grip from the bows pressure exerted on thehand.

Hope some of this info helps---best of luck----Matt
Old 09-06-2005, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Proper rest height and tension should be checked--your arrow should run 90 degrees from the string when the arrow is nocked and sitting on the rest.Check these for starters.