Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Vane clearance problems

Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Vane clearance problems

I have a TT shakey hunter rest and after posting a couple of pics on my form alot of guys said my cord was putting to much tension on my cable and to try moving my rest back a little. I did that, and the cable has alot less tension on it. What I was wondering is, I know you are supposed to shoot cock vane up on these drop away rests but shouldnt you get complete vane clearance if you shot cock vane down? I'm getting clearance with cock vane up but cock vane down I am not getting clearance. Does this sound like a timing problem or not? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Vane clearance problems

It could be a combination of the timing or simply the speed the rest falls away. I have a QAD Ultra Rest and shot for a long time with cock vane down without problems. I noticed recently it wasn't droping as fast and since I can't figure out how to get it apart to tighten the spring, I switched to cock vane up. I put a TT on my daughter's bow and, after making sure it was adjusted properly, she was able to shoot vane down. However, she shoots a pretty short arrow, so I have her shoot with the vane up just to eliminate any possible problem.

Have someone put some tape around your arrow when you have the bow at full draw - put the tape right in front of where the arrow rests on the TT forks. Then let down and watch how far away the forks are from the tape when the rest is first fully drawn up. If those forks are at their full height before the tape is with aninch or twoof them, you need to adjust the timing.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Vane clearance problems

ORIGINAL: savedbygrace

I have a TT shakey hunter rest and after posting a couple of pics on my form alot of guys said my cord was putting to much tension on my cable and to try moving my rest back a little. I did that, and the cable has alot less tension on it. What I was wondering is, I know you are supposed to shoot cock vane up on these drop away rests but shouldnt you get complete vane clearance if you shot cock vane down? I'm getting clearance with cock vane up but cock vane down I am not getting clearance. Does this sound like a timing problem or not? Any suggestions on what I should do?
I would leave it like you have it,and shoot it with the vane up.Some drop-aways drop more than others.As long as nothing hits when the vane is up,you'll be fine.If there is a way to adjust it to where the rest drops more then I would do that though.