Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

So how did your 3D season wrap up?

Old 08-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default So how did your 3D season wrap up?

Well last weekend was the last 3D shoot I had planned to attend this year, as I still have quite a bit of scouting to do in the next month till hunting season, and my weekends are pretty booked getting stands hung and a last minute food plot I need to put in down in PA.

This year was my first full season of competing in 3D, or any other type of archery. My goals this season were to finish at least one shoot in the 290's (we score 10X, 10, 8,5) and to learn to shoot back tension.

I was able to finish 2x 30 target shoots in the 290's, and averaged around 285 for the year, and I now think I have finally got the back tension release down pretty well. I still plan to switch to only a back tension release full time after hunting season this year, now I am using it for all of my practice but still shooting the thumb trigger full time during competition.

This last weekend was the biggest shoot of my season, the Tupper Lake Mountain Challenge in Upstate NY. I managed to shoot a 283 on the first day out of 30 targets which isn't my best, buton the second day I managed a 296 w/ 17 x's , my best round of 30 targets ever. I ended up in 6th place with a 579 out of 600 counting 10/8/5.We had some really good shooters in the HC that I was competing against, most of the ones above me are on various shooting staff of some sort so I am pleased with my position when it was over.

Goals for next season are to shoot at least one perfect 300 score, shoot the BT release full time in competition, and make it to the NY and/or PA state IBO shoots and then get down to the worlds to try and learn something from shooting with the big dogs. Hope to see some of you guys next year at these bigger events.

So how did you guys end up for the season. Anyone reach any goals they had set out for themselves?

I hear Matt/PA finished up well when I was checking the IBO results pages.........
Old 08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So how did your 3D season wrap up?

Rick,
I did have a pretty good 1st official 3D season, especially considering I shot exactly ONE local shoot all of last year. I didn’t finish quite as well as I would have liked and achieve my ultimate goal of winning an IBO World Championship .....but I certainly had my chance.

Here’s my 3D season highlights, just for reference sake since you asked…….no bragging (Well maybe just to the “all talk” Huntingnet Ohio crowd, I got yer’ Pumpkin pie right here.[8D])

1st Harrisburg Eastern Sport Show “Indoor 3D Challenge”(Try shooting 3D in front of 1000 people[:-])
1st IBO World Qualifier Little Buffalo
1st PA IBO State Championships
2nd MD IBO State Championships
2nd PA ASA State Championships
1st ASA National Pro/AM , PA leg
3rd IBO 2nd leg of the National Triple Crown, Erie
3rd IBO World Championships overall, Highest X count, High PA finish.
( Finished 9th in the 10 target final out of the top 12 who shot on Saturday, I had the worst 10 target stretch I had all year unfortunately at the worst time for the all the $$ and the title)

I am jumping up a class to IBO MBR /ASA Unlimited for 2006 which is fixed pins to 45-50yds. I think after a year of experience at “Big” shoots, I could realistically win a National Championship and probably a World Title in HC but I want to keep challenging myself and my archery skills.
Not that shooting to 35- 40 yds with pins in all sorts of crazy terrain is a piece of cake, I just feel I should advance to the next level. I might take a beating on yardage estimation but oh well……it’ll be fun.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shootin Matt. I got your email, but our server at work has been buggy, and I lost it before I could reply. Congrats an a great first year bro!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't realize you did that well in all those events Matt, good job and I am sure we will get to meet next year at a few of these bigger events. I plan to be at Glendale next year as well as the second leg of the Triple Crown at Gem City, then the NY State IBO shoot at Active Bowhunters of WNY. I will definately be at Worlds as well after all of these to wrap the season up.

Anyone else? I know there are a few of you on here that put some time in this year.........
Old 08-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations to both of you guys. That is some very impressive shooting. Alot of time and effort goes into those types of achievements. My hat goes off to you.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys.....
Frank you are right, it takes ALOT of practice on the range and with range estimation to know exactly where all the pin gaps line up for each yardage.
I would spend hours at the club range shooting every single yardage from 23 to 38 yard by yard by yard learning where to hold on each. I shot pins on the 5's (Meaning every 5 yards @ 23,28,33,38) but even at 5yd increments you still only get 4 dead on hold yardages........the rest is learning how to shoot gaps accurately.
And of course if you can't tell 36 yards from 31 yards all that practice goes right out the window.

I'll tell ya, I had a fun season of competitive shooting but 30 seconds after the World Championship was over I couldn't wait to just pick up the hunting bow and relax a bit.

Onenice byproduct?.....The deer are in MAJOR trouble this season.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM

One nice byproduct?.....The deer are in MAJOR trouble this season.

Amen brother.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:58 AM

Congrats Matt. That's a great first season brother.

Mine first whack at it wasn't nearly as prestigious...

I took 3rd in the open class for the local "Crown Jewel". Sponsored only by local shops....7 shoots and the best 4 scores count. Nice because all the courses were within 25 miles of me or so and gave me a chance to compete a little bit and still work around my work schedule (busiest on the weekends).

No gapping in open Matt...step up baby
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

3rd in the youth at the bass pro fall classic my 1st 3-d there was only 3 shooters but the one who beat me got a 292 and i got 291 ...he was sponsored by mathews,duravanes,sureloc,and something else so i didnt think i did tobad