Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help w/ Paper Tuning???

Old 09-28-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Help w/ Paper Tuning???

I am consistently getting a moderate nock left paper tear when paper tuning. I always thought that a left tear meant you should move the rest out away from the riser more (right handed archer). However, I have conflicting information. Easton's and Bowhumter's tuning guides say to move the rest more towards rather than away from the riser. New Archery Prducts states on their website to move the rest away from the riser if getting a nock left tear. WHICH IS IT?

Also, throughout the years I have noticed that fletching contact is often the cause of imperfect tears. My problem could be related to fletching contact or a weak spined arrow, given the fact that my draw weight increased a few lbs. after twisting the cable. ANY ADVICE ON GETTING AN ACCEPTABLE PAPER TEAR?
Old 09-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help w/ Paper Tuning???

In my experience, I've always moved the rest or knock point in the direction I want the tail of the arrow to move. If your arrow is tearing left, then move your rest to the right. This assumes you're paper tuning at 6ft where the arrow is on its first wiggle. Tuning guides are nice to give you a start but nothing beats trial and error.

good luck

Cargo
Old 09-30-2002, 07:29 AM

I would do a couple of things...

1. Put some talcom powder on the fletching to check for fletch contact. fix any clearance problems then check the paper tune again.

Next,

2. Lower the poundage of the bow. See if that corrects it. If not, try a heavier point to effectively raise the spine of the arrows. Worse case would be that you would need to go to a heavier shaft.

Finally,

3. Move the rest either direction until the tears shrink. Get em as close to perfect as seems possible then check to see if the broadheads group. If they group, then I'd stop worring about the tear.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2002, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

mjl 927 I think you ment put a lighter point on too stiffen the spine as putting a heavyer one on will weaken it

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 PM

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/ Download eastons tuning guide and follow the instructions.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]