Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads hitting low

Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Spike

Default Broadheads hitting low

My broadheads are hitting 2-3 inches below my field points at 20 yards and 4-5 inches low at 30 yards. I'd played with the nock and rest height all weekend, but never could get them to hit the exact same.Any ideas?The good news is that the broadheads are grouping really well. I'm thinking about just moving my site to match the broadheads and calling it a day.

Here are my specs

Alpine Fatal Impact(set at 62 #'s)
29.5" draw
PSE Terminator 200 arrows (bohning blazer vanes)
100 grain Thunderhead

Old 08-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads hitting low

Well,you've done what I would have suggested to do already.My RM titanium 100's were hitting 2" lower than my field tips.My nock was set at 1/4" high.I moved it down to 1/8" high,and now they are hitting the same.I have never found a fixed blade broadhead that hits like field tips.I have heard stories,but have yet to see it.Honestly I would just move the sight.Even that little bit shouldn't cause the field tips to fly over the target or anything.Hope I helped.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to adjust my sight to compensate for broadhead's ,but that proved to be a pain when I wanted to shoot fieldpoint's ,I was alway's re an re adjusting .SinceI started shooting the Montec's there was no adjusting to be done and now that I've seen what the Slick Trick's will do ,I'll also be using them as well. I had never seen fixed head's shoot like fieldpoint's as well untilI started shooting these head's.

nubo
Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bow was doing the same thing, getting great groups w/ boradheads about 2 in low. For me i just figured out that it subtracts bout 5 yrds off my range. So for my 30 yrd pin w/ field tips, its a 25 yrd pin for broad heads. I do this because i use Mechanical heads for long range shots (45+) and they fly like my field tips. Otherwise i'd just adjust my sight.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
This should help some.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

By looking at your signature it appears to me that your arrows might be slightly underspined. For a quickcheck you could turn the bow down about 5# and see if things get better. If they do and you prefer to shoot your present weight then stiffer arrows might be the answer.

Or maybe just longer fletching might help. Spine-wise I think you're right on the edge.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it still isn't a tuning issue, maybe you could try actually weighing the BH vs field points.
That's a big drop for it to be solely a weight issue though.