Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need Advice on Sighting

Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Advice on Sighting

I got my new BowTech Liberty this week. I am pleased with the bow but have some questions regarding sighting. It shootsto the right a vast majority of the time. However, on occasion I can group 5 arrows in the "hole" on by Black Hole target. When I picked the bow up, the guy at the shop where I purchased it spent alot of time with me getting it set up. After may shots, he felt I was holding the grip and putting torque on the bow. I have shot every day since and have been real concious of this and let the bow rest in my hand without wrapping my hand around it.

He also mentioned that the spine on the arrows I have may be too stiff. (Easton Axis 500). I shoot at 50#.
I also thought about switching my release. I have a Winn Free Flight. I thought maybe going to a release that rotates 360 deg. would eliminate any torque. I also hook the release directly to the string. I just got back into Bowhunting a couple years ago and in no way considere myself an expert archer. Any advice you experienced guys could give me would be appreciated.
THANKS!
MIKE
Old 08-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Advice on Sighting

So, if it's shooting the right a vast majority of the time, why not just move your sights over to the right a smidgen at a time until you are on?
Or are you saying no matter where you mover your sights your arrows always land to the right of your point of aim?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Dave-
I guess I ignored the obvious solution. I made some minor adjustments yesterday and now im shooting good groups! I guess I thought it may be something else since the guy at the shop I got the bow from said it may have something to do with my shooting technique. Thanks-MIKE
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 AM

i think sometimes guys and gals at shops do the best they can with what they are given. i've realized by helping neighbors and lots of folks around here that until they can dot it at 30 yards i really can't help them fine tune their bows. we can get it close, but if they aren't shooting on a consistent basis, and consistantly, it just really isn't any use. correcting their form and grip, well, only a few are receptive to that. they feel like if they hit a bullseye a couple times they are doing it fine. why listen to someone trying to correct something that isn't broke. as you get more and more into shooting again you'll begin to figure out what you're doing wrong, if anything, and things will begin to bother you - like to much pressure on your bow thumb, or the bow squirting sideways at the shot. the difference between me and the shop down the road is i just flat out tell people we can't fine tune it until you can shoot better. they seem to appreciate that coming from a buddy, but it makes them mad if a shop owner tells them that - like the person is trying to get out of doing work or just doesn't care.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said gibblet.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Gibblet-
Thanks for the advice. I am starting to get better as I shoot more and my confidence is increasing with each session. Im sure that my tecnique and form will get better as time goes on.
Thanks-MIKE