Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

dry firing bow

Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 PM

Default dry firing bow

Hi im new here but i thought it would be the best pace to ask this question. What happens when your bow is dry fired. Idiot brother of mine dry fied my bow on accident, full draw, 60lb, 75% letoff,cam and 1 half, hoyt bow. Anything I should check, it has never happened before only 3 weeks old. Any thoughts or suggestions, and my brother will never touch it again.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM

Default RE: dry firing bow

Dry-firing a bow can break the bow. Today's bows can take a dry-fire without breaking. I would take the bow to your pro shop and have them look it over. I seriously doubt that anything broke, but it is better to be safe then sorry.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with zak. Have it checked out at the pro shop for any damage. Chances are it's ok but you never know. My son did the same thing to his a couple years ago. The only thing wrong was a clip washer flew off the end of the top cam axel. He does have limb savers on the bow and the pro said that probably helped. Hope all is ok.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the bow's still in one piece ,I'd say your very lucky .To be sure I'd have the shop check your axle's on your wheel and cam just to be on the safe side .Sometime's the axle will get bent and cause problem's later.

nubo
Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did that the other day was not even 1/4 drawn i looked it over...limbs cams..etc checked its still its ata length..
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 PM

Just check your strings for any fraying of any sort.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

send it to me i'll check it out for ya, i'll give it my season long test
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats fraying meen... wax time or something more serious/[&:]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM

Unfortunetly if you damaged anything it probably wont be visible until you shoot the bow some more. Alot of todays bows that are dry fired will quickly yield cracked limbs or cracks starting in the yoke or from around the holes containing the axles. I would be safe and at least replace the axles. If they are bent ever so slightly you wont notice it while shooting but they will wear your cams and eventually lead to bigger problems in short order.

As for the fraying, that is simply broken or unravling fibers on your string/cables and the only solution for that is a replacement. Personally, I hold ANYONE who dry fires the bows financially responsible. I would make your brother pay for the axles and new string. If it requires new limbs or had the bow exploded, I woulda gotten a new one with his wallet!

That's the breaks when being stupid!
RA
Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

whats fraying meen... wax time or something more serious/[&:]
Fuzzy string means wax time, Fraying means new string time.

Quick Reply: dry firing bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.