Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

dry firing bow

Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dry firing bow

gotcha
you mean some broken strand
Old 08-25-2005, 10:57 AM

My poor darton I bought in 2000 has been ABUSED! It was my first bow and took the brunt of my learning curve. It's been dry fired twice and bown up once. Amazingly no damage any of those times. However I have a short draw length and light draw weight, and also use a ton of limb saver stuff. I have seen others get dry fired once and crack a limb though?

If it were me I would take it to a good shop and have a mechanic that knows what he is looking for take it completely apart and look it over. Tell them it was dry fired and you want it inspected. They will look over the limbs really well in the areas that usually show stress from this sort of thing. Pull your axles roll them on a flat surface to check if they are bent. Look to see if the holes in the limbs or cams are out of round. And look over the riser to see if it may be cracked or something. Not to mention look for loose screws and possible damage to the strings and cams.

And like Red said, don't be suprised if it still fails later on down the road. Sometimes these things just can't be seen right away. Expect to replace the axles and the string possibly. If it has been on for while I would just do it any way to be safe. The good thing is the newer bows can handle a fair amount of abuse and still keep on ticking. I would not suggest it though.

Here are a few tips for the future.

Don't let anyone handle your bow that you don't feel is competent to do so, or better yet just don't let any one else handle your bow at all. It may seem stingy, but if they don't have the money to replace it they can leave it alone. My bow cost me enough money that if it were to break right now I would not be able to replace it for years.

If possible never draw the bow without an arrow in it and pointed in a safe direction. And if you have to, use all your fingers and a firm grip with a dry hand. And go slow and smooth.

NEVER trust a release or string loop!!! Even if they have never failed before. They are mechanical and prone to failure at the worst possible moment.

NEVER draw a bow without an arrow when using a release.

And NEVER point a bow at something you don't want to shoot when it has an arrow in it. Or without an arrow in it for that matter. You could let go by accident and something could fly off the string when it fires. I don't know about you, but I don't want to get hit by a peep sight or nock moving 3 or 4 hundred fps. Nor do I want one planted in my TV or something.

This might sound dumb, but ask someone that has been doing this for a long time and I'm sure they can tell you they have seen some CRAZY stuff.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ohyea my bows at 48-50 on my 50-60 pound bow.....limbs savers string leeches and another limbsaver on my sight
Old 08-25-2005, 09:58 PM

Someone once dry fired my bow, and just like the rest of the guys said took it to a pro shop, told the guy everything and he gave the cams, and axles a real good looking over. I also shoot a hoyt and happily there were no problems. Believe me when I tell you that the guy who dry fired my bow was just as relieved as me or more because he knew he was on the hook for the repairs
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM

I agree w/ the majority and I would definitely have my Pro Shop give it the once over...Did it have the XT limbs or the ZR's....The XT is alot better limb and all Hoyts come with limbsavers installed so chances are probably nothing wrong but you never know. Spun cams or a crack down in the limb pocket can sometimes be hard to identify. Good Luck
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

xt1000s with limbsavers
shouldi not shoot?