Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Definition of a PRO Shop

Old 10-03-2002, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Definition of a PRO Shop

I don't think there is a formula, though it doesn't hurt to suggest one. I think the person in question is a pro if they know what they are doing, and have good profesional ethics. We aren't trusting these guys with our savings (well I hope not). I don't care if they don't have a bow press at all, or don't have high tech strings. What if they sell stick bows or FITA bows only? If my local shop had an Olympic Gold Medalist, and I was interested in FITA, would I care how many bow presses they had? In general, I think the proposed criterion don't consider adequately shooting skills. If a guy decides to sell only a few brands, and they all fit the one press, and he can order strings, who cares? What would be bad would be the guy puting your bow on a press that might injure it, but that's ethics/education. I don't really care how many bow monkees a guy has in training, what if the guy held really good do-it-yourself seminars so that a lot of the folks could do their own bows? Bows are simple enough that they are pretty much an open book to the right kind of person with some good books or videos, so I wouldn't want to see it get too complicated.

Overall what are we going to do about this? Get AMO to certify what a pro is, and then only let those shops represent Pro Shop product. That isn't a bad idea, if we all want to pay an extra few hundred for our bows. Profesional standards are a good thing if they aren't used to excesively limit competion, and if the economics of the thing can support it. The PGA does a pretty good job but golf isn't cheap, despite all the nonsense about inner city programs to broaden the sport. You have to have the economic hook to hang it on. In golf for a lot of operations (I am told) it is cart rentals. Most of the PGA guys I have run accross aren't all that knowledgeable about gear. They can play the pants off most members though.

To have super pros would be nice, but I am not sure where the money will come from outside the large markets.

Old 10-05-2002, 12:04 AM

I am just jumping back into archery after about 5 years off. I just purchased the BK II from my local shop. They let me in the backroom where they do all the setp up work, they had three bow presses, a peg board 5'x 5' with nothing but different strings. Had to have 4 or 5 plastic bins with 25 draws each with fleching stuff, another setup like this for inserts & nocks, all labeled even. Also in the back they had to 50 different types of arrows, all set in 6" pvc vertically. They had a paper tuning area back their also. They had a fletching station that had 24 fletching jigs.

They have a 50 yrd indoor range with 15 or 20 animals, & about 10 The Block targets. A box of paper targets to put on The Block also. This range has 20 stations for shooting. They also have a video range @ 20 yrs.

They carry Bow Tech, Parker, Hoyt, & PSE bows, Tox, Trophy Hunter, HHA, Sure Loc sights, All Bow Tech, Parker, PSE asses. All the SKB cases & some cheaper stuff also. They had 5 or 6 different tree stands set up, a feeder setup, & a couple of ground blinds setup. They also have a Big Screen on CMT all day.

I found most of the guys to be helpful, very young. The two guys that I worked with the best was a guy that is a hunter only, & their head tech. I think the shop is the best, but the staff doesn't have many grey hairs. I am only 28, but I do alot of investigation & ask alot of questions that I already may have a good idea about. I just dropped $1100 bucks on a bow & all the fix n's, & I knida feel like they should be more attentive to their customers. Not to mention I dropped off 2 cases of Bud LT bottles & a case of Bicardi Silver for them.

I felt like all of the employee's excluding the Tech & the hunter had no real stance on any products. I asked if I should shoot ACC 3-49's or 3-60's, they new I was looking for speed so they said the 3-49's were fine. But @ the Easton sight, 71lbs, 30" draw, hard cam
says 3-60's. I feel they should know that & imform me that anything less than 3-60's may not group or fly well. When I told the hunter guy, who fletched my arrows, he said he wouldn't have put the vanes on if the order sheet had that info on it. I feel I could have pushed them anyway into any product they had. Give me some input on a rest please, I am using the Martin speed rest it has come lose twice in one day of shooting.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:11 AM

Sorry:

Extreme World Achery, Wentzville, MO.

5 miles form my house, but too far from work to hit it @ lunch for practice.