Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

another newb looking for arrow advice

Old 08-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Default another newb looking for arrow advice

i just got into archery and after reading up on a lot of things on this forum i went with a matthews outback. Im shooting a WB and cheap pse carbon arrows to practice tightening up my groupings. presently im shooting 60 lbs with a 28" draw and a 29" arrow. i plan on trying out the slick trick 1" broad head which is i believe 100 grain. i will be using blazers as well if that matters. the pse arrows right now are 300 grain with 100 grain field point and blazers. after checking some charts it seemed to me that 300 grain arrows may be to much. im looking for a good set of hunting arrows so that may also be a grain consideration.

ive seen a lot of posts from a lot of very knowlegable people on this board and you all seem very willing to help us new guys. im really trying to dig into this info and learn all i can and i appreciate any and all advice and responses.

thanks
chris
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Default RE: another newb looking for arrow advice

All of the major arrow manufacturer's offer charts on their web sites that will guide you in the selection of the proper arrow. I shoot Gold Tip XT Camo Hunters and Gold Tip Pro Hunters. At 60 pounds, 27.5 inch draw length, and a 26 inch arrow, the GT charts recommend that I shoot an arrow with a 3555 spine; these are generally in the 7 to 7.5grain per inch range, or about 195 grains for a 26 inch shaft (bare). From personal experience, I have elected to shoot an arrow with a 5575 spine - they just shoot better with my set up. These are typically a little over 8 grains per inch, or about 213 grains total bare shaft. To that you have to add the weight of the insert, nock, vanes or feathers, and broadhead. I also use wraps, which adds some weight. In total, when I'm all done I'm around 380 grains for total weight.

The point of all of this is you should check the web sites for the different manufacturers to get a sense of the options you have for the draw weight and arrow length you're shooting. I would start with Gold Tip, Carbon Express, and Beman if you are shooting carbon. Check the spine charts to see what each recommends and then look at the different arrows you have to choose from and their associated weights. Also check out the front of center (FOC) and kinetic energy calculators on Gold Tip's web site. They will enable you to play with different arrow lengths and weights, along with approximate speed, to give you an idea of what different shaft combinations might mean to you in terms of performance. Good luck.