Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to fletch Blazers??

Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 PM

Default How to fletch Blazers??

I normally fletch my arrows right helical butI am going to try some Blazers and since they are so short can you put a helical clamp on them or do you just go with right offset? If you do offset how much? Also how far from the nock do you put them to get the best flight? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to fletch Blazers??

You can fletch them the same way that you fletch any other vane or feather. Just because they are shorter does not mean that you can't use a helical clamp.

Don't take this the wrong way but this question is like a person asking that since a 4" vane is so short can they use a helical clamp like they did with their old 5" vanes.

The clamp does not change and the arrow does not change so you could fletch a half inch vane with a helical clamp if you wanted to. It just wouldn't appear to wrap the shaft much being so short.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd personally like to know what everyones experiences are fletching these things. I am having a lot of trouble getting them to stick. I previously used 4" AAE fletch and the are stuck on contact when I fletch them. I have adjusted my clamp numerous times to get full contact with the blazers and the shafts with little success. I use the Bohning super glue type glues and usually, they'll fall off during a shooting session. I really like the vanes, just dont' understand why they are not sticking for me. I too am using a helical clamp, but I've adjusted it down to as little helical as possible to get the bases contacting the shaft better.

I've since give up on them and went back to a 3" fletch.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Well since you can't get good contact with the blazers that is most likely why they arent sticking very well. If you can get the whole base to touch with a good instant bond glue they won't come off for a long time.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:04 PM

If you are getting good contact w/ the shaft then I would switch glues...I am using Bohning Quantum XT and I have been shooting mine for over a month now and have had no problems. I am shooting just a offset whereas you are a helical but either way if we are both gettting good contact on the shaft yet ones sticking and ones not i'd say it the GLUE...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 AM

I use Steel Force glue and have had no problems fletching my blazers with a Jo - Jan fletcher. Are you using wraps? They may help with adhesion problems.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 AM

i had those problems also. best thing that works for me is just cleaning the shafts with water. sometimes i use a little dishwashing soap and rinse with warm water. when i put the clamp down i slide it back and forth a couple time (it'll probably only slide 1/16") to make sure the glue gets all over the base of the vane. i then hold it down for about 10-15 seconds. i'm using some kind of instant adhesive. since i switched to cleaning the shafts with water only i've had no problems at all.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the answers so far but how farfrom the nock end should I put them? I am sure there is preferences for where they should be put for best flight.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put em on carbons with my helical clamp. I put the back edge right where I used to put the other vanes and they fly great with my broadheads. Killed 5 whitetails with em last year and all flew perfect.

PS. My buddy with an archery shop gave me this hint: Put a thin coat of pliobond on the shafts first then use good old fletch tite. Havent had one come loose yet!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

i had those problems also. best thing that works for me is just cleaning the shafts with water. sometimes i use a little dishwashing soap and rinse with warm water. when i put the clamp down i slide it back and forth a couple time (it'll probably only slide 1/16") to make sure the glue gets all over the base of the vane. i then hold it down for about 10-15 seconds. i'm using some kind of instant adhesive. since i switched to cleaning the shafts with water only i've had no problems at all.
Ahhhhh, finally someone has seen the light.

Clean the shafts with regular ole water, let dry and glue away. I have used AAE fast set gel, Goat Tuff, Quantum, Zap-A-Gap, and regular ole Crazy Glue gel all with equally great results.

I fletch all my arrows with the rear of the fletch at the step on the clamp. If that is too close to your face you can move it foward as you see fit.

Quick Reply: How to fletch Blazers??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.