Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Patriot single cam shooters?

Old 08-21-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Patriot single cam shooters?

Would like to know how many of you actually can get your Field tips and Braodheads to shoot the same? If so, your set up?

Shooting 70# with a 423 grain arow, cx400, 125 tips, 29", around 291fps. Nap quick tune.
I seem to be having better luck with the slick tricks although I am not getting consistant results.either right on or 5 to the right. (could be me?) seem to get a little arrow cork screw in flight??
I was using Rockets but would prefer to use a fix blade for my second trip out west. My Bow has been tuned /paper tuned to a acceptable tear, but still no luck with fixed blades.
Drop away time??

frustrating it is. I can't be the only guy who has had problems with the patriot!
welcome any opinions....
Old 08-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Default RE: Patriot single cam shooters?

I've had very similar problems, and I am completely, 100% certain that the cause was me. More to the point, it was my poor form. I wasn't consistently squaring myself and so I was torquing the bow without realizing it, and the single cam Patriot is extremely easy to torque when compared with my old dual cam Martin Lynx. It's also an extremely accurate bow, so when an arrow doesn't go where I expect it to, I'm pretty sure I'm the cause. I've added a tied-on kisser to help me make sure my form is solid. So far, it's working.

As for "drop away time", I would certainly suggest that you switch to a drop away rest. I use a Drop Zone, and since I switched, I know I'll never go back. The performance is better and I find it much easier to tune.

Here's my setup:
03 Patriot @ 66lbs
389 gr Easton Axis 26.5" arrow with 100 gr Liberty Broadheads (2" overdraw to magnify my problems!)
TR Drop Zone

Old 08-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my Muzzy 4 blade broadheads (100gr) shooting right with my fieldpoints. It took some tinkering and fine tuning to get it right. Here is my setup :

'03 Patriot s/c 71#
Beman ICS Hunter 29.5"
GFK Infiniti rest

Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be completely honest with ya,No I have had no problems at all.My bow was tuned by my friend who owns the shop and myself.It is shooting my field points with perfection,If I do my job,and the broadheads are the same point of impact.Maybe just lucky but not going to mess with success.
My setup
04 patriot
68 lbs-----27 inch draw with NP
CX300 arrows
NAP 3000 micro
Wasp Boss Heads
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was with TerryM today and he's shooting an 03 Patriot with A.C.C.'s superlite's with Slick Trick 100's ,It was shooting the same as his field point's .I was impressed with the Trick's ,So I'd have to say you might have a string knock problem ,try slightly moving it up ,it should be about 1/4" above the your your rest shelf ,some like it 3/8" .I had a bit of this problem this season and it didn't matter how much i adjusted my sight's ,thing's didn't change ,now that i have figured it out that it was the string nock ,thing's just keep looking better .I'm not saying this is your problem ,I'm just saying it's another area to look .

nubo
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't have a Patriot single cam, but did have 2 Infinity cam Bowtechs (Pro 38 and 40). With both, I had much better luck with prong type shoot through rests than either the Whisker Biscuit, or Drop aways. I saw that the signature lines of the guys who say they are not having problems both are using a similar type of rest. Might be worth checking into.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 AM

i shoot that bow and i go about things a little different. when i tune it to broadheads that's exactly what i'm doing. i find my perfect broadhead tune and my perfect field point tune are just a little different. i bare shaft tune to find nocking pt and then walk back tune to find my centershot. then i go back to 70 yards and see where i'm at. if i'm shooting down the middle, or within a couple inches either way i'm done. if i'm off a lot up and down i may play with my tiller. i usually find my field tips have a little different poi than my broadheads when i'm done. i could get them the same, but it wouldn't be perfect. i haven't tuned yet this year with bh's since i've gone to a floating yoke. i think this may help.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you using a quick tune drop away or standard quicktune?

If using a standard one, it sounds like a minor fletch contact problem either cause by improper nock rotation or form. Your arrow spine should be OK.

If using a drop away make sure you set it to stay up LONGER not drop quicker...biggest mistake people make setting up a single cam bow that has some nock travel (like the Pat does).

Also you are shooting@high speed. At those kind of speeds there is very littleto no margin for error in tuning, or shooting form with fixed blade heads.

Once I got a properly spined arrow in mine, fixed blades shot great for me at speeds approaching 290 FPS (assuming I did my part).
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are underspined , acc 349s , or 2314s would probably be a better arrow choice , or you could try 75 grain heads .
Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

CX400s are actually a .320 spine ijimmy. They don't use actual spine value for designation

And from personal experience I can say a 29/70 patriot SC needs more spine than a 3-49 can give at normal arrow lengths

Quick Reply: Patriot single cam shooters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.