Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Faster without rubber on peep?

Old 08-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Faster without rubber on peep?

I've heard that it can make a 7-10 fps difference, that the bow would be quieter without the rubber tubing, and I'm interested in trying it out.

How do you keep your peep aligned without it?I know you can adjust the string so that it works out automatically, but I want something I can be a bit more sure of when the cards are down.

I'm looking at the T.R.U. Ball Speed Nok.
http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/archery_supplies/releases_tabs_gloves_accessories/truball/2607349.html
It's designed for finger shooters like me, has a vane to keep the string from rotating, and since it's plastic, it's lighter and faster than the brass nocksets I'm using now. Is this a good way to go, or is there a better one?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Faster without rubber on peep?

It is most certainly quieter, supposed to be faster, but I was making a bunch of changes to my bow to know how much came from removing the tubing.

If you are going to use some thing attatched to your peep, I've heard of people using thin elastic cord. It's supposed to be lighter and quieter than the tubing without sacrificing the consistentcy that the tubing provides. I haven't tried it personally.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm going to get it.
It's cheap (if you can call $12 for a chunk of plastic small enough to lose in a thimble, cheap).

I'll do a scientific test, with and wo/tubing, and then change to the Speed Nok instead of brass, and measure again. Get 2 pieces of actual data for the price of one.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 PM

Why not just tie on a string loop? Light cheap and more forgiving. The tube type peeps do suck speed from your rig and make noise. Not to mention the rubber could break and smack you in the face at full draw. Also the peeps themselves are heavier than a normal peep sight. I say ditch the whole thing and either get a different type of peep or get a No Peep and be done with it.

However with most of the newer strings peep rotation should not be a big deal. Once the string is shot in and the peep located right it should not move unless you do something to the string. It may take of bit playing to get the rotation right, but once it is there at full draw it shouldn't change.

Paul
Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like for a finger shooter it would get in the way of how you grip the string? I may be wrong on that, let us know how it works...
Old 08-19-2005, 08:09 AM

Sorry, missed the part about you being a finger shooter. I'd get a no peep and ditch the peep all together.

Paul
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may try a no-peep for next season, but with deer season so close, I didn't want to have to screw around too much.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bulleye!

Yes the tube peep's do suck the life out of your bow, and as Paul say's there are a lot of thing's that can potentionally go wrong with them.You may opt to try the Fletcher Tru Peep if you choose to stick with a peep. The tubeless peepwillrotate's itself into position .But either way you'll lose FPS from your bow ,maybe not so much from the tru-peep but some for sure. .It's definately an improvement from the tube peep regardless.

nubo