Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best PeepSight

Old 09-26-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Best PeepSight

What are some of the best peep sights out on the market? Preferably ones without tubing.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best PeepSight

Well, that depends on what you want to use it for. If you are looking for a hunting peep, there are a couple that stick out above the others. The Fletcher Tru Peep 3/16" is a great one. I shoot this one and really like it. It sits in the string on a 45 deg. angle and when at draw, squares up to you giving you a nice circle instead of a football looking hole. Also look at the Shurz a peep line. They come in different sizes and they also have one called a 2x2 that splits the string in four places to the side and gives you a better view without worrying about a strand being in the way.

Also, look at the Super Peep. It comes in a kit and has a housing that goes into the string, and you can change out different diameter aparetures to suit your needs. That kit is a little salty though, and may not be what you are looking for.

Go to Cabelas.com, they have about all of them there with pictures for you to look at.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:29 PM

When it comes to hunting there is no such thing as a good peep sight. At some point or another they all fail. Either there is not enough light, the darn thing doesn't turn right, or if you have the rubber tube it breaks. Take a look at the Hind Sight (www.hindsightco.com) or any of the other peep sight alturnative sights on the market. Anything is better than the peep sight for hunting. Peep sights belong on the target range, which is what they were designed for in the first place.

Hind Sight
Old 09-28-2002, 03:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>When it comes to hunting there is no such thing as a good peep sight. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Somebody better tell that to the last 75 deer I shot!
Granted, peep sights can be bothersome sometimes, but when they don`t let enough light in through a 3/16&quot; hole to see your pins and target, you gotta be WAY past legal hunting time!

Back to the original question...ArrowGuy, the only non-tube type peep I am familiar with is the tru peeps. I use the super peep model. For hunting applications I just take the insert out completely. I never measured the hole, but it`s got to be close to 1/4&quot;.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA

Edited by - Big Country on 09/28/2002 05:09:15
Old 09-28-2002, 04:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 08:15 AM

I am no doubt bias toward Hind Sight but I've also been a bowhunter for 30+ years experience. I started out just like most others shooting a peep sight and over the years have tried a great number of them. After being screwed too many time I took the darn thing off my bow for good in 1985. For 10 years I shot with just a kisser button and did pretty good but it takes a great deal of practice to be consistant. The Hind Sight not only solves the low light problem but also something extremely important ... &quot;Bow Torque&quot;. This is something that a peep sight just can not address and in hunting situations is very common. By having the rear reference point attached to the riser it's impossible to torque the riser or be out of anchor alignment, not unlike the holographic sight. A peep sight was developed for target shooting years ago and has been modified in an attement to adapt it for hunting. By drilling out the hole, to allow enough light in, you are defeating the purpose of the peep sight in the first place. I am extremely against peep sights for hunting as they will no doubt let you down at some point or another and you will be faced with a choose of a missed opportunity, or a risky shot. While I am spreading the word about the Hind Sight I am more voicing my opinion against peep sights.

Hind Sight
Old 09-28-2002, 01:29 PM

I think I share some of the same opinions as Hind Sight. I would recommend a peep sight over nothing at all, but I think there are some better sighting aides on the market.

My choice has been the No-Peep, but some of the other front/rear rifle sight systems can accomplish the same things.

The reasons I like the No-Peep:

1) Provides a fine point of aim similar to a peep with a very small hole, only there's no worrys of light transfer loss or an obstructed field of view.

2) Made it possible for me to shoot with both eyes open. (Some folks can do this with a peep, but mine would &quot;disappear&quot; when I opened the other eye.)

3) Provides immediate and easy-to-read feed back on any amount of handle torque.

4) (The reason that I choose it over the rifle-style sights) You can use the No-Peep with any brand sight of your choice. If you want a pendulum, you can shoot one. If you prefer one company's sight pins, you can use that brand sight.

5) It takes one more item off the string, and puts it on the riser. Right now, my string has a string loop and 2 whisker silencers.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:52 PM

CapstoneME made some great comments and the Hind Sight does many of the same things the no-peep does. One thing I would like to clarify is that the Hind Sight will work with any fixed pin front sight and as such will not work with pendulums of yardage adjustables. One thing the Hind Sight has over the no-peep is glow in the dark cross hairs. As the light fades the cross hairs light up and litterally glow for hours.

Hind Sight