Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

let's see who's the closest

Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default let's see who's the closest

Just a little game to see who's the closest at guessing my correct fps. I went to the pro shop last night and fired about 30 arrows through their crono and finally figured out how many fps I have been shooting. I shoot a Bowtech pro 38 dually with a 29" draw, 27" beaman hunter 500's at 7.2 gpi and 76 lb draw weight with a muzzy zero effect. What do you guys think my fps should be based on the above? I finally got it so I can shoot 1 pin out to 30 yards and I love it.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: let's see who's the closest

What is the total arrow weight?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea of your finished arrow weight, if I did I could make a guess because I had that exact bow.....and it was ROCKET.[:-]
Mine at 30"/71# would shoot my 355gr test arrows at 333fps with a loop ,and leeches.
A 475gr Terminator Hunter Select whipped through at 290fps![8D]
If you are at 5grs /lb you're in the 320's. and into the 80+ ft/lb of KE range
Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man Matt...you're pretty close. I'm right in the 315 to 320 range. You're right, that thing is a rocket I just can't beleive I'm getting that kind of speed out of my hunting setup.

Rick, sorry about that.They're 7.2 grains per inchwith 100 grain field points and 5 inch vanes and 27" long. You should be able to roughly calculate it. I never actually weighed one of my arrows.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're arrow is severely underpined for that bow weight, too. I shoot .500 spine at 27" and they spine about right for a 27" draw and about 60#, plus maybe a couple pounds.

You did leave out some info though. What fletch and what weight point can make a lot of difference.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

BG, I was going to say the same thing.
Way Way Way under spined for that bow and set up.
Should be shooting at least 340's or even 300's.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I thought they were pretty underspined myself but the staff at the local pro shop suggested going to them to get more speed. So what would be the consequences of an arrow that's underspined? I went to the local 3d shoot this past weekend and scored 289 out of 300 so the thing is dead on so they're not causing an issue with accuracy. I also don't have to worry about KE since my arrows penetrate further than any of the other archers I shoot with. I guess I just want to know what problems they could cause since I shot beman ICS 400's out of it for years and have just switched.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bearklr,

If you want to retain that speed but want a better fit for your bow, take a look at Gold Tip Ultralight 22's..... better spined but still very light arrow (7.3grs inch).
I think they spine out at .300? which would be a much better selection for your set-up. They are very stiff for their weight, and a strong shaft.
They will allow you a little more room for a good helical fletch as they are sort of an in between diameter (not too skinny not too fat).....they'll still penetrate very well on game and help you catch a few more lines in 3D.
Great all around carbon shaft.......they'd be my very first choice as a dual purpose all carbon 3d/hunting shaft.
You might be ok now shooting field points with such an underspined shaft but when the time comes for broadheads you might be firing knuckleballs.[:-]
Old 08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You might be ok now shooting field points with such an underspined shaft but when the time comes for broadheads you might be firing knuckleballs.[:-]
ahhh...now it makes sense. Thanks for the info Matt, I really appreciate it. I even asked the guy about the gold tips and he basically blew them off. Well, at least I didn't buy a full dozen. I started with 6 just for this reason. I'll probably shoot a few broadheads now to see what happens so I'm not scrambling around 2 weeks before the season. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ahh, you gave your answer much too quickly. I was going to guess around 310 but I had forgotten the IBO rating for the Pro 38 dually. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the issue of being underspined.

Quick Reply: let's see who's the closest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.