Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow size choice

Old 08-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default arrow size choice

A buddy of mine recently asked me what was wrong with his bow that he has lost the last 6 deer he has shot with it. He told me that when he first got the bow he had no problem takeing deer with it. Over the last two years he has lost every deer he shot. He said that he put the arrow right where it needed to be but got very litttle penetration and knockdown.
I asked him if he had changed anything on the bow in the last two years and he said that a friend had given him some free arrows that he had been shooting. I checked out his arrows and believe i found the problem. He is shooting a old Browning bow with small round wheels, set on 52 pounds with a 30 inch draw. The arrows are 31 inch 2514's. I told him the arrows are way too light for that set up and that is why he is losing so much energy and penetration. The Easton chart calls for an arrow in the 21 to 22 diameter, like a 2117 or 2216 something like that. They didnt call for a 2514 until the poundage was around 73-79 pounds.
Was i right on my anlaysis? It doesnt look like the bow has enough speed or energy to push that light of an arrow with much kenetic energy or speed. The arrow is way underspined. He uses 100 grain Muzzy 3 blades so the broadhead isnt the problem. I told him that changing to one of the arrows in the size range recomended by easton would take care of his problem if he put the arrow in the vitals and that with that arrow and 52 pounds he should get complete passthroughs.

I hope i told him right, what do you all think

Dave
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arrow size choice

Hi there, if you used the Easton Shaft Selector Plus from the Easton Archery Web-site. Then I will agree with you on the arrow choice, however I would shoot the 2216's before the 2117's hands down. What he needs to do is find out what he had in the beginning and go back to that set up. Friends and free stuff can be to your demise.