Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help! Broadheads are way off!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Default RE: Help! Broadheads are way off!

I believe that your bow is out of tune also. I tuned mine by moving my rest like MOFIRE suggested.

Just keep one thing in mind when tuning the rest. When you make a move left/right or up/down, make those moves as small as possible between test shots. With my rest, I found that a move of as little as a 32nd of an inch made a big difference at the target.

I had the same exact problem that you have, after fixing it with the rest, I can shoot any of the broadheads now and they group with my fieldpoints, including the 3 blade Muzzy.

Kev
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM

if your broadheads are hitting to the right move the rest 1/16" or less to the right. always move the rest towards the broadheads until both land in the same grouping. if your broadheads hit high move the rest down a 1/16" if bh hit low move rest up a little.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM

What distances do you guys paper tune at? I stood about 6' from the paper as the direction said. Is that it? Or do you try it from farther away too?

I am not real happy with my groups yet, I just ordered some Blazer's and I am not going to do any more tuning until I get them on.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Insatiable: I've always read that if the broadheads fly RIGHT of the field points you should move the rest to the LEFT.

Personally, I've never found moving the rest to work. With eight different bows over eight years, with all sorts of spines, vanes,heads,bareshaft testing, Easton Tuning Guide, paper tuning, walk back method, and every other permutation you can think of, BHs still always fly about 4" left of FPs at 40 yds. Instead of working myself into a rubber room I now just move the sight a little. Bottom line: do whatever works for you.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the rest gets movedaway from the point of broadhead impact.
If an arrow is acting stiff, a bareshaft will fly tail right, and therefore plane leftand hit left of the fletched shaft. A broadhead on a stiff acting arrow will do the same.
The rest adjustment to correct for a stiff arrow response is to move it to the right. (toward the bow)

I've had my fletched arrows tuned up with paper just peachy, and then tried some bare shafts and broadheads to verify that I had it. Not even close.
I had good groups, but they weren't hitting together.
A bare shaft would smack a 30 yard target at about a 45 degree angle and impact over a foot left of my fletched shaft. Increasing my point weight and moving my rest to the right is fixing it. Of course, now I've sacrificed my true center shot, but I don't want to buy all new arrows.
From now on, I'll consider paper tuning only a course form of tuning suitable only for a starting point for bareshaft and broadhead tuning.